1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 8:14 AM by LSNOVER

WebDirect Interactive Container not working

LSNOVER

I'm pretty sure I had PDFs working in Container fields working with the Acrobat Reader in WebDirect at some point. Now I can only get it to work in FMPro.

I've checked all ports and everything seems to be in order. I've tested in Chrome and Safari on both Mac and Windows. Chrome, just shows me the file name in the container. Safarri shows a blank container.

• 1. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
          LSNOVER

No one has run into this?

• 2. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
            cloudmeister

we do have a similar issue. 

1) Opened locally on FMPA 13 with OSX10.9.2  =>  Interactive Container works as it should with pdf file

2) Hosted on FMSA 12 with Win2008r2

=> FMP12 & FMPA 12 Clients work as intended

=> FMPA13 Client displays Error Message that "File does not begin with '%PDF-'FM......pdf

3) Hosted on FMS 13 with Win2008r2

=> FMPA 13 Client uploads fine, shows documents in design mode when show sample data is acitvated, in Browse Mode I get an "HTTP Status 404" Error Message - We tried this on 2 installations with all necessary Ports opened.

Whether the Container storage is internal or external open or secure storage does not matter ... we tried all possible combinations.

Update:

Just tried a local installation of FMP and connection directly with FMS13 using localhost => problem remains

• 3. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
              GordonShewach

No solutions, Lee. Just a "me, too" in not getting PDFs to display with WD. A key thing for me is that the PDFs display fine using WD on the LAN, but fail on the WAN. Images across the WAN are fine (jpg, png, tif). PDFs fail. PDFs UPloaded from WAN can be viewed fine on the LAN or in FMP. But not the WAN. Things I've tried:

• External storage and non-external storage

• Insert File, Insert PDF

• insert by reference or not

• Interactive container or images

• multiple versions of Safari and Chrome, IE 11

• other things I'm forgetting

The next thing I plan to do is try another server in another office. Won't get the new server til April, though.

Gordon

• 4. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                LSNOVER

Guys:

Thanks for the replies.  I've had problems with it working on the WAN and not the LAN as well.  makes no sense.

I'd like to understand better how Filemaker Pro and WebDirect "detect" the Reader software and make a selection in how it should be used.  Wish we had a little more direct control over the process, at least as an option.

Regards,

Lee

• 5. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                  ch0c0halic

AdobePDFViewer is possibly the culprit. I deleted it from my Client(s) and suddenly PDF documents started showing again in FMP13. It seems FMP13 and the AdobePDFViewer 9/9.5 don’t work well together. I’ve heard, but not tried, that Adobe Reader XI (V11) works better.

Path to file:

MacHardDrive/Library/Internet Plug Ins/

• 6. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                    cloudmeister

Good thinking, in our case however the display of the pdf file within filemaker works fine as long as the filemaker file is hosted locally on the machine.  As soon as you move it to a Server the strange stuff starts happening.

• 7. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                      ch0c0halic

All my usage has been with the FMP Client, not Web Direct. Since they use different technologies to display the layouts, local rendering engine vs CSS in a browser, I don’t know if my suggestion has any effect on your issue. I was just hoping it would make a difference.

FMS 13 has streaming, FMP does not. Since they are not the same technology I would expect them to behave differently.

Did you set FMS to use streaming? Its a FMS 13 preference and I think its needed to do streaming. I think it also uses the 16000 port to do streaming.

Did you set the container to interactive behavior? Its a FMP 13 layout setting.

There is a pretty significant difference between FMP and Server and between versions 12 and 13 container field behavior. And there has been a lot of recent changes in Browsers and their plugins. My guess is we are going to see quite a few behavior changes with different configurations.

• 8. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                        sicoa

Check whether you have outstanding security updates that need to be run on the Server OS. If you do install them and reboot the server. This worked for us.

• 9. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                          cloudmeister

Good thinking, in our case that was our first avenue after we looked into after checking the firewall and IIS.  It looks like we are pretty much up to date though.

• 10. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                            cloudmeister

Interesting Stuff, just looked into that and found:

• How you access the db (FMP, FMPA, FMgo, WebDirect) makes no difference, the problem remains the same
                            • Where do you set FMS to streaming ... looked but did not find anything.  The ports 16000 and 16001 (the one I found to be used in the link) are open in the Firewall
                            • Interactive Behavior:  Yes, it is this setting that allows you to upload interactive pdf files.

Browser development ... oh my are you right ... more problems than ever in more browsers than ever.  It seems the makers of browsers ar diverging ...

• 11. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                              ch0c0halic

To turn on progressive download open the FMS admin-console.

https://my_ip:16000/admin-console/

Click on the Database Server link on the left side (second from the bottom)

Click on the Security tab.

Under the third section "Secure Connections", at the bottom, is a checkbox "Enable progressive downloading"

Be sure to read the caveat text about the settings because its real important.

• 12. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                                cloudmeister

Now that is one thing that we did not try ... thx for the suggestion, however we still get the same error 404 message which ususally means that the object I am looking for is not available ...

• 13. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                                  cloudmeister

Update:  We have now tried this on 2 different Win 2008 Servers that were each very clean and set up specifically for this test with FMS13.  The Firewall on that last installation was opened wide on all relevant ports.  We have also tested with a clean fmp12 file that contains 1 container field. All to no avail.

Hope somebody comes up with something otherwise we will have to move back to 12

• 14. Re: WebDirect Interactive Container not working
                                    ch0c0halic

I'd also restart the admin console. In the Terminal use:

fmsadmin restart adminserver -y

The admin-console and Tomcat are both reset by this. May be needed to make streaming start up if its already hung up.

1 2 3 Previous Next