2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 3:23 PM by rgordon

FM Go Destructive Revert Message

rgordon

If a user get disconnected to the server will connected to FM Server, FileMaker Go will attempt to reconnect to the server. This works well sometime but other times it can be extremely problematic. It appears either FM GO or FM Server gets confused and thinks that the record is locked when FMGO attempts to reconnect. Then a message appears to Revert the record because changes can't be saved because the record is being used by someone else. (nobody else is in the record). When the user selects Revert (which is their only option), the whole found set of records is deleted. I might expect one record being affected by not a whole found set of records. There are not any cascading deletes that might affect this. Has anybody else experienced anything like this and were you able to resolve this issue? I have emphasized properly closing files, to avoid disconnected but this doesn't always happen with over 30 users.

• 1. Re: FM Go Destructive Revert Message
          Malcolm

If a user get disconnected to the server will connected to FM Server, FileMaker Go will attempt to reconnect to the server.  This works well sometime but other times it can be extremely problematic. It appears either FM GO or FM Server gets confused and thinks that the record is locked when FMGO attempts to reconnect.  Then a message appears to Revert the record because changes can't be saved because the record is being used by someone else. (nobody else is in the record).  When the user selects Revert (which is their only option), the whole found set of records is deleted. 

I’m investigating the loss of records in a database that has fmGo connections. We have seen exactly the same issue. Our user reports have been very vague and their answers led us to think that the cause was user error. The big question for us was how the users were deleting the records. It’s extremely likely that they don’t log out - that’s not an iOS thing - you simply stop what you are doing and move to something else.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: FM Go Destructive Revert Message
            rgordon

FMGO has the magical ability to reconnect to the server when it gets disconnected.  At first I thought this was great but now I think this feature is also the cause of the deleting records when it does not reconnect properly.  The reconnecting is creating a record locking issue and then FM Go over reacts when it tries to resolve the issue.  I think this might be more of a FM server issue because it is not properly releasing the record when FM Go disconnects and then reconnects.