4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 6:02 AM by mikebeargie

Need portable computer recommendation for FM over VPN

carrolljd

My mother is in bad health and I am spending serious time in waiting rooms, etc. I need to be able to access my FM12 via VPN or other mechanism. Need a keyboard. Have heavy laptop but it is just not portable enough. Don't even know if they make Netbooks anymore or if they have enough power for FM12.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jane

• 1. Re: Need portable computer recommendation for FM over VPN
          mikebeargie

macbook air?

or if you're looking to stay PC in the lightweight department, the asus zenbook, dell XPS lightweights and sony T series are all viable alternatives.

Netbooks do not have the horsepower for a good user experience for WAN performance. Some netbooks CAN run filemaker, but that doesn't mean they should, or had database application performance in mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX31E-DH52-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook-Aluminum/dp/B005SY32Q2

Used ones starting ~$600, pretty decent deal given the specs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need portable computer recommendation for FM over VPN
            fitch

If you just need data entry access, an iPad Air with FileMaker Go would be the lightweight champ.

If you need to edit scripts, layouts, etc. then go with a MacBook Air.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need portable computer recommendation for FM over VPN
              carrolljd

Thanks for letting me know about the Netbook.  I really had no idea.  I guess I will flip through the website and see about FM Go.  I hadn't even thought of that.  I still need to access my files though so not sure if that is a good solution. I don't even need to be able to enter data, just see it and run reports to PDFs.  

I am definitely not in the MacBook Air price range since I already have two Windows laptops.  I also have an iPad Mini and that would be big enough for my purposes.  The Asus sounds attractive.

I really appreciate the input.  It saved me the hassle of trying out the Netbook. 

Jane

• 4. Re: Need portable computer recommendation for FM over VPN
                mikebeargie

You can generate PDFs in FileMaker Go, however sometimes the fonts can get all screwy based on the transition, so you might need to make some modifications for working with Go. The other benefit of Go is that it's free, and you already seem to own the hardware. If your budget concious, this definitely could be a viable option for you.

Also, if you're using FileMaker Go, you can take your files with you on your iPad mini, then put them back in place when you get back. This would negate the need for serving/hosting them for remote access, allowing you to fully "cut the cord". Of course, you can take your files with you on a laptop as well. You haven't really provided details on how your current "office" environment hosts/uses FileMaker, so we can't really recommend the best "take it with you" solution.