AnsweredAssumed Answered

Music Cue Database Setup 3 Part Question

Question asked by sgtpeppas on Jan 25, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 by erolst

Hello,

New to Filemaker Pro 13. I am setting up a databse of music cues in a catalog. Within the catalog there are numerous genres. The first two entities I've identified are CUES and GENRES. One cue can have many genres and one genre can have many cues. When a cue intersects one or more genres you have a CATALOG ENTRY. Here is how I've set up my Relationships:

Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 5.15.09 PM.png

All Primary Keys are Serial, Auto-Enter, No Modify, Number

Foreign Keys in the Join Table are just Text

QUESTION 1) Does this look correct?

QUESTION 2) If not, is there a better way to handle this?

The other problem I am running into is figuring out how to simultaneously create new records in both the Parent Table CUES and the Child Table CATALOG ENTRY. When I create a new record in CUES the ID is auto-entered. I can fill in all of the fields just fine. Problem is I would then have to go over to CATALOG ENTRY and manually fill in the Foreign Key field (_CueIDfk) to bring the data through from the Parent Table. This certainly can't be the best solution to have CATALOG ENTRY mirror records from the CUES Table with thousands of music cues. Once I have a cue record in CATALOG ENTRY the intention is to then assign anywhere from 1 to 4 genres from the GENRES Table to each individual cue.

QUESTION 3) Is there a filemaker solution to my filemaker problem?

Thanks ahead of time for your assistance! Please keep in mind that the growth of my prefrontal cortex was stunted due to the high stress environment created by my dysfunctional family unit! In other words I am quite the novice!

Regards,

Paul

Outcomes