5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 6:49 AM by wimdecorte

Possible permissions bug

dburnham

Not sure if this is a bug or not.

With the new Upload to Server in v.13, I have been given mixed instructions. Some tech support advisors have said that it's Ok to drop a file into its correct folder and not worrry about setting the permissions the way the old Java client did when it was used to Upload to Server. I've tried it both ways, without any significant problems ... until today. Here's what I did and what I observed:

In FileMaker Server, I closed the file in order to do some maintenance. Specifically, I needed to implement remote container storage for a field that had previously stored document files in a container field. Everything went properly with the transfer of the container storage.

Then, before closing the file, I thought it would be wise to save a compacted copy, which would reduce the file size significantly ahving removed all the embedded container data. I saved the compacted copy to the same location as the file itself, resulting in a new file with the name Copy added.

Then, I removed the original file from the directory, changed the file name of the new version to delete the word Copy, and re-opened the file in FMS. All my work was done with the both files in their proper FMS directory.

When the file was re-opened, I found that Manage Scripts was not available to me with Full Access privileges. I also found that other menu commands such as Manage Database were dimmed in their menus. I made certain that Standard FileMaker Menus was chosen in the Tools menu.

I then closed the file, moved it to the desktop and uploaded it to FMS using FileMaker Advanced. That fixed it.

I believe this issue is repeatable because it happened to me yesterday when I did something similar, transfering a file from an older FMS-12 server to a new FMS-13 server via FTP. Had to do it that way because I don't have a copy of Pro or Advanced on the old server. When I dropped the file into place on the new server, I had these menu/permissions issues. When I uploaded the file to the Server using the client software, it was OK.

• 1. Re: Possible permissions bug
          wimdecorte

What you describe is entirely normal and expected.  By doing a "save as compacted", the OS assigned ownership and read/write to your account for the new file because you created it.  In other words the new file did not inherit the fmserver.fmsadmin owner from the old file.

By uploading it through FMP, FMS took care of changing the ownership and setting the right privileges.

You don't HAVE to upload it to make that happen, you can also just manually change the ownership and permissions from the command line.

• 2. Re: Possible permissions bug
            Vyke

Why in the world would file ownership on the server restrict the permissions of someone with a full access account? The only time I have ever seen this happen is if the file "glitched" when it opened. A quick close/open cycle fixed it.

• 3. Re: Possible permissions bug
              wimdecorte

Aryden wrote:

Why in the world would file ownership on the server restrict the permissions of someone with a full access account? The only time I have ever seen this happen is if the file "glitched" when it opened. A quick close/open cycle fixed it.

Are you replying to me or dburnham?

There is no restriction on the permissions so I'm not clear on what you mean.  When you create a new file on OSX the file always is assgined to the account that created it.  That's the OS and is the same on all *nix operating systems.

Files hosted by FMS require that the they are owned by user "fmserver" of group "fmsadmin".  That has been like this ever since OSX was released.  The upload feature takes care of that.  Or you can do it manually from the command line with the "chown" command.

• 4. Re: Possible permissions bug
                Vyke

I was stating, I have only once ever experienced the issue with not being able to go into various modes using a full access account. I simply closed FM and re-opened and it was fixed. I don't see it being due to the permissions on the file regardless of whether it is on windows or a mac. I've tested it since this was posted on both and havent had any issues with it at all whether I copied the file directly over or uploading via the console. I was under the impression that FMSRV changed the ownership when you started the file, not when you uploaded it. It would make a hell of a lot more sense.

• 5. Re: Possible permissions bug
                  wimdecorte

Aryden wrote:

. I was under the impression that FMSRV changed the ownership when you started the file, not when you uploaded it.

Nope, it is when you upload it.

Aryden wrote:

It would make a hell of a lot more sense. [to set the permissions when the files is opened]

I agree with you.  However some people have been using the OS-permissions to make files "read-only".  So a change there could catch a lot of people out.