2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 1:40 PM by baleihi

Importing from table in existing file brings in previously found set

baleihi

Hi,

I'm trying to import some records from one table (A) into another table (B) in the same file. When I do this, I have two windows open, one showing the layout of the source table A which has a found set active and the other showing the destination table B. As expected, only the records in the found set of the source table A get imported into the destination B. But now the weird thing happens. I want to import *all* the records from the same source table A into a different destination table (C). So I find all in the source window A and go to the new layout C in the destination window. Then I do the import. Only the previously found set from A, which is no longer active mind you, is imported into C. If I close both windows and reopen them, all the records get imported. But I want to do this in a script and I'm curious about why this behavior is happening. Anybody got a clue? TIA

• 1. Re: Importing from table in existing file brings in previously found set
          keywords

I just ran a test with multiple windows open for the same file and got the same result you did. I did some further testing and I'm pretty sure this is what is going on:

FileMaker ignores the found set(s) you have in other windows and imports the found set that happens to be open in the window you are working from, even though on a layout that is currently inactive.

This makes sense, if you think about it. You can have two or three windows open, each showing a different found set (although one of them is hidden because you are working from a different layout/table). When you run the import process manually there is nothing to tell FM which found set you want to import, so it defaults to the one in the active window.

In your script, you will need to include a script to navigate to the window that holds the set you want to import, which will overide this default behaviour.

• 2. Re: Importing from table in existing file brings in previously found set
            baleihi

Thanks, yours were indeed Key Words - your explanation is consistent with what I'm seeing and makes sense.  Now that you've clarified that this behaviour is, in fact, reproducible, I can handle it in my scripts.  Appreciate your help.