5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 11:14 AM by PaSav-ICT

External Accounts not working

PaSav-ICT

Hi,

I have set up a new machine with FileMaker Server 13. I was running the server first on my FileServer.

I want to setup extarnal accounts. When FMS was running on the same machine this was working perfect.

Now with the two machines it is not working anymore. I set up directory service in de FMS admin the same as on the other machine.

When testing the feedback is that settings are oke. But when i try to login in using a external account it is not logging in.

Can't find anything in the logs.

• 1. Re: External Accounts not working
          wimdecorte

PaSav-ICT wrote:

Now with the two machines it is not working anymore. I set up directory service in de FMS admin the same as on the other machine.

The "directory service" part of the admin console has NOTHING to do with authenticating users so that's a red herring.  (That section is there to let users find a server via the corresponding option in FileMaker Pro under File > Open Remote > Hosts Listed by LDAP).

What are you using to authenticate against: Active Directory?  Open Directory?  Local accounts?  What OS is your FMS box: Windows or Mac?

• 2. Re: External Accounts not working
            PaSav-ICT

The same settings where working on the setup when running on one machine. My Database has the correct settings on using the accounts.

• 3. Re: External Accounts not working
              wimdecorte

You have not answered any of my questions though.

The fact that it worked on the other server means that this server was set up correclty and the new server is not, so it comes down to finding the differences.  The "direcotry service" part of the FMS config is NOT an issue.  Trust me.'

I co-authored the white paper on external authentication: http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm8_server_auth.pdf

Nothing much has changed since then.

If you can tell us what you are authenticating against then we can take the first step towards helping you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: External Accounts not working
                PaSav-ICT

i have read the pdf, was very helpfull

We use the following :

- FM Server 13 on a machine with Mavericks (FMS)

- OS X Mountain Lion Server. (MLS)

I have setup the Directory settings exactly the same as on the setup on one machine.

I made the groups on my MLS and add the external accounts in my solution. I put the user accounts in the corresponding groups.

Like i said, the FM files was working perfect when running al on one machine.

Tryed with ore without SSL connection, both are accepted.

• 5. Re: External Accounts not working
                  PaSav-ICT

Oke, i found it. I wase confused by the FM Server settings. I thought that defining the Open Directory in the settings the FileMaker Server was directly

communicating to the OD. But it is not. I bound the machine it self to the server in the Accounts Settings menu, and it now is working again.

Thxs for the information.