3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 2:17 PM by PeggyConant

FM 13 hosted file consistently crashing for Mac FM 13 clients but not for FM 12 or Windows 13.

PeggyConant

I have been working with a hosted FM file that was converted from FM 12 to 13. At the end of the work week last week my Mac client started crashing every time I attempted to select a text value for a global local field using an item on a value list populated with text values native to a MySQL table. The FM file is a front-end for a MySQL database and only a few tables are local. I have now tested and reliably had the same crash results on Mavericks as on 10.7.5, a result I cannot reproduce on same OS looking at same file using FM Advanced 12 client. I have also tested on Windows using FM Pro Advanced 13 and cannot reproduce problem. I have reinstalled the FM 13 client on my Mac and still no better results. I did a consistency check and it came out fine. I know that work was done on the MySQL server on the same day that my issues started

The console logs the lost connection "client no longer responding. connection closed. (51) " after the client has closed, meaning it doesn't appear that the action that causes the bump is precipitated by the server. This is not an entirely new problem to us. We did see some of this error 51 in FM 12, usually these crashes would be clustered over the course of a day or two. But we could go many months without problems and usually the crashes only lasted for a day or so.

Thoughts?

Peggy

• 1. Re: FM 13 hosted file consistently crashing for Mac FM 13 clients but not for FM 12 or Windows 13.
          BowdenData

Peggy,

Issue with the ODBC driver being used to talk to MySQL? Maybe MySQL was updated to a new version and you need to update/change the ODBC stuff as well?

Doug

• 2. Re: FM 13 hosted file consistently crashing for Mac FM 13 clients but not for FM 12 or Windows 13.
            PeggyConant

Doug,

I have checked and the ODBC driver on the server is up-to-date for the version of MySQL.  The indexes on the MySQL tables have been rebuilt.

The issue is ongoing. I seem to have one  MySQL table that will consistently fail but it is not the only point of failure, just the one that I can consistently get to fail doing nothing particularly onerous.  The failing table only has 150 records and I am connecting to it from a local global table.  I have checked to make sure that my field types match the MySQL field types for the joins. 

I cannot migrate this solution and all the lovely FM 13 features that I have built using  popovers and slide panels. 

Anyone else have problems with clients closing unexpectedly on Macs?

Peggy

• 3. Re: FM 13 hosted file consistently crashing for Mac FM 13 clients but not for FM 12 or Windows 13.
              PeggyConant

Doug,

In the end you were right about it being a driver issue.  Here is what seemed to be the problem.

When I set-up my MySQL ODBC driver on my new FM 13 server machine, I installed a 32-bit version of the current MySQL ODBC driver.  Because of the way our servers are set up, that probably seemed like the appropriate choice and, well, frankly one might think that the 32-bit drivers are appropriate for something named  "system32", right?.  And that worked fine except for when I was using a Mac FM 13 client trying to access the MySQL data delivered to me by the FM 13 Server using the 32-bit driver.

I went around the block a few times before I realized that indeed system32 is where you put 64-bit drivers and SysWOW64 is where you put 32-bit drivers.  Go figure!  I'm sure that there is some deep logic to that but it wasn't until I had reinstalled my FM server, and installed a 64-bit MySQL driver into the SysWOW64 directory that I realized that I had the paths backwards.

So here are some takeaways from my Windows 8 server environment:

• Drivers will install using /system32/odbcad32.exe by default regardless of whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit. 
              • It is possible to install drivers of either type using the SysWOW64/odbcad32.exe path, but it is not clear to me how you make FM clients recognize drivers that are installed using that path.  Fortunately, I don't think I need to know this now that I have the drivers I need in the correct place. 
              • Just don't get caught off guard like I did by the odd logic of the exe paths!