2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 8:56 PM by colinmatthews

Notes section

colinmatthews

Hi,

I am trying to create a Notes section for my Products table and have hit a wall.

What I want to be able to do is to create a new record in the Notes layout which is created via a button in the Product layout. All related note records that are created should then be visible via a portal in the Products layout. There will be several notes to one product.

The problem that I am having is that I can only get one note to appear in any one product portal because the two tables are related through serial IDs rather than the Product Name. Therefore, as a new note record is created, and the ID number increments by 1, it is no longer matching to the Product ID number.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to correct this?

Many thanks,

Colin

• 1. Re: Notes section
          robwoof

Hi Colin,

Since it sounds like you have a serial ID for the Products (say, ProductID), what you need is a field of the same type (probably text or number) in the Notes table for ProductID in the Notes table. You then create a relationship between Products::ProductID and Notes::ProductID. If you want to allow Notes to be created by typing into the Notes portal on a Products layout, check the "Allow creation of records in this table by this relationship" box on the Notes side of the relationship. That way, if you want to add a new Note for a Product, you can just scroll to the bottom of the portal and enter the details, and the Notes record is automatically created with the correct ProductID already set.

If you have a serial ID field in the Notes table (say, NoteID), that's fine, but you wouldn't use it to link Products and Notes.

HTH

Rob

• 2. Re: Notes section
            colinmatthews

Hi Rob,

That is fantastic! It works!

Thank you so much.

Colin