12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 2:32 PM by ginajonesaccent

GLOBAL FIELDS

ginajonesaccent

Hi

I have several databases which have Global Fields to display the company logo on several layouts. When I open the same database in FileMaker Go it comes saying The file cannot be found and then gives the file name. We have our databases on Filemaker Server but the logo is stored on our main server - is this the issue or am I doing something else wrong?

• 1. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
          Mike_Mitchell

If you've stored the file in the field "as a reference", then yes, this is the problem. Change it to storing the resource in the file, and it should eliminate the issue.

As an aside, if you use a single-record "globals" table and then set the global field using a Set Field step in your opening script, it'll allow you to insert the graphic even while the database is being hosted.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
            ginajonesaccent

Thanks for this – I don’t understand a few things

Where do you store the field as a reference?  This is what I have ticked

cid:image004.jpg@01CF1D09.8F210210

This is the only database I didn’t create...I have changed the field to being a single-record ‘globals’ table and think I have used the set field as you suggest:

cid:image006.jpg@01CF1D09.8F210210

All that has changed on the ipad using FilemakerGo is that where the logo should be is blank (so I don’t get any message coming up).

What is odder is that the ones I have created (using a Global table) are all showing on FMGo – these ones don’t have an Open Script (because I have only just learnt about them from your email...).

I’d love to know what I am doing wrong.

Best

Gina Jones

ACCENT ARCHITECTS

www.accentarch.co.nz<http://www.accentarch.co.nz

• 3. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
              Mike_Mitchell

Gina -

The option to store as a reference (or not) comes when you insert the image into the container field:

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 9.58.35 PM.png

This pops up in the Open File dialog when you right-click in the container field and choose, "Insert Picture".

In other words, you'll have to replace the images. Follow these steps:

1) Create your new, single-record table to hold the images (sounds like you've already done this).

2) Create the necessary container fields to hold the images (note: these should be regular container fields, NOT global fields).

3) Insert the image(s) into the containers, making sure to leave the "Store only a reference" checkbox unchecked (as shown above).

4) Create a script that runs when you open the solution, including these basic steps:

- Go to layout based on the globals table

- Set each global field equal to the appropriate container field

- Proceed with remaining startup steps

That should do you.

Mike

• 4. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                ginajonesaccent

HI Mike

I am struggling to understand this

Isn’t the point of Global fields so that say you change your company logo you only have to change it in one place – which seems to be what is happening on my other databases.

With your suggestion how does it work with several layouts with the logo on it???

Sorry – it is probably something blindingly obvious....

Gina Jones

ACCENT ARCHITECTS

• 5. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                  Malcolm

I have several databases which have Global Fields to display the company logo on several layouts.  When I open the same database in FileMaker Go it comes saying The file cannot be found and then gives the file name.  We have our databases on Filemaker Server but the logo is stored on our main server - is this the issue or am I doing something else wrong?

Yes, that’s the issue. Store the logo in a global field not on the server and your problem will go away.

malcolm

• 6. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                    ginajonesaccent

So on the filemaker server?

Gina Jones

ACCENT ARCHITECTS

• 7. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                      Mike_Mitchell

Gina -

Here's the issue: Global fields store the last value the field contained when the file was hosted locally. So if you stick a value in it on your machine, then host it on Server, the value you put in the field will be the value every user gets by default on login. Changing a global by logging in and inserting a new value won't work, because it'll shift back to the stored value once you close the file (because globals are user-specific).

In other words, the term "global" means "global across every record in the table", NOT "global across every user". Each user gets his own value for a global field. That's why it's standard practice to store the values in a "normal" container field, then use a script to set each user's value to the value you want when he logs in. That way, if you need to, you can change the value in the "normal" field and the change will stick.

The only other way to change a value in a global field so it will stick is to unhost the file, download it to your machine, load the new value, and then upload it back to the server. Which is a pain when users are trying to use the system.

HTH

Mike

• 8. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                        ginajonesaccent

Thanks for this – this explains why the ones I have created work (I created them and then put them on the sever with the field populated) whereas the other one has been on our server forever...

Can I ask another question?

I am setting up a database with several container fields which users will input data.  We use Filemaker server.  Ideally I would like to have the data for the container fields saved on our server and not the filemaker server – can I make this work?

Many thanks for your help

Gina Jones

ACCENT ARCHITECTS

• 9. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                          Mike_Mitchell

You're welcome. 

I assume by "our server" vs. the "FileMaker server" that the two are separate. That being the case, you might want to look into 360Works' SuperContainer product (www.360works.com/SuperContainer). This is a product that uses a web viewer to mimic the functions of a container field, and is largely transparent to the FileMaker users.

Other solutions involve using web viewers and PHP code to upload the files! which is substantially more complex.

HTH

Mike

• 10. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                            ginajonesaccent

cheers!

Sent from my iPad

• 11. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                              Oliver_Reid

Yes

For OS X use a special file type called a Symbolic Link - a hard core type of 'alias'

When you select "Open Storage" for a container field you specify a folder within the FMS Data folder to store conatainer files.

Before  doing so, set up, in the FMS preferred location* a Symbolic link to network folder you want to store the files in really.

* e.g. Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/RC_Data/FM_Filename/...

Salect that Symboic Link as the destination folder you want FMS to use, and the files will actually be placed where you want them.

On OS X the various downloadable GUI uitilites for creating "Symlinks"

e.g. http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html

This example uses a command line approach:

http://30stechie.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/redirecting-folders-in-os-x-to-a-network-drive/

If you are hosting on Windows there are , I believe, equivalent tools available.

• 12. Re: GLOBAL FIELDS
                                ginajonesaccent

Many thanks – we are on windows – but also use idevices

Gina Jones

ACCENT ARCHITECTS