2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 7:22 PM by JFWX5

Server Bash Script to Zip, Move and Delete Files

JFWX5

Hi,

I would like some help creating a bash script to be called by FMS13 to deal with my weekly backups.

My backup is named Weekly_Date_Time and is in the Server HD /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Backups/Weekly/

The folder I would like it to be placed zipped files into is Server HD/Users/Serverm2/S3/

And after the backup is complete delete the files in Server HD /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Backups/Weekly/

What are the commands for the script?

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Server Bash Script to Zip, Move and Delete Files

Hi John,

Assuming your FMS is running under OS X, I suggest you try the shell script that Rob Russell developed.

http://www.sumware.net/robfm3/?p=27

I've been using the original version of this script for years with earlier versions of FMS and have not bothered to include the part where older backups are deleted from the destination folder after X days. Thus far I've not been able to make my version of the script run successfully when called by a schedule in FMS 13 set to run 10 minutes after the regular FMS backup. It does, however, run when invoked from the Terminal.

I've reported my problem to TechNet and to our local SE but no resolution has yet been forthcoming. It may therefore be a bug, but I hesitated to call it that until someone else had replicated the behaviour that I'd observed. Perhaps you can make it behave.

Regards,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Server Bash Script to Zip, Move and Delete Files
            JFWX5

Thanks John

I'll take a look at it.