3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 12:37 PM by tony_wen

Designing a UI for data entry within FMP 11

tony_wen

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to design a simple UI for data entry just within FMP 11. I have only a set of FMP 11, and I'd like to build a database to import main data from some Excel files; then design a UI to entry few extra data. Finally, I need to put the FM file on the web. Could FMP11 support these requirements easily? Is there any example for this small system or Data Entry UI?

If it is quite complex, I will have to use VBA within Excel. But I believe FMP should provide a more beautiful and user-friendly UI.

Thansk for any help in advance!

Tony

• 1. Re: Designing a UI for data entry within FMP 11
          tony_wen

Is there anyone who would like to  give some advices?

Should I just turn back to VBA?

Tony

• 2. Re: Designing a UI for data entry within FMP 11
            BarbaraCooney

Tony,

It's such a broad question that you ask..

Yes, FM (esp. 13) can offer you a beautiful UI experience for data entry (using a desktop client, browser, or iOS device). My first thought is the future role of Excel in this scenario? Will you replace it with FM or look to Import periodically?

Have a look at some of the FM info on their website. Download a trial. Post some more specific questions and describe the workflow and size/platforms of your target users.

hth,

Barbara

• 3. Re: Designing a UI for data entry within FMP 11
              tony_wen

Thanks Barbara,

I know my question isn't easy to answer in a short reply. Two years ago, our company bought a set of FMP 11, but no one used it.

Now we have a small-sized project to deal with our data storing in several Excel sheets, and add some simple data entry UI, My boss might have a willing to use FM, but no willing to update it now.

As a new comer of FM, I am wondering whether it is possible to conduct this project only within FMP 11 or just in VBA. I am sure the VBA could make sense, but I appreciate the FM beautiful UI.

I also don't want to spent a long time in such a small project. This is my dilemma. 

However, thanks again.

Best Regards,

Tony