2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 12:21 PM by raphthepenguin

Limit Records to Department

raphthepenguin

Hey there,

so right now I have a Database showing all records always.

Now I am having several Departments, and I would like to have each department only being able to show their records.

The way I thought of doing this was creating a layout for the department and then establishing a Priviledge set that only allows to see that layout, instead of the all contact layout.

I created a self-joined relationship but am only showing records that have the same department.Then I duplicated the layout but changed the shown records to the according table occurance.

My problem is that all records are shown in the new layout, just that all those who are not of the department are empty!

Better ways to do this? Or additional steps that will fix the problem?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Limit Records to Department
          ninja

A better way to handle this is through the Access & Privileges...

For the user's account, use Custom Record Privileges and set your contacts table under "View" to "limited" and use the formula along the lines of

Cotacts::Department = "Sales"

I've made a number of assumptions about what accounts you have in your system.

Note that if you do it this way, you'll also want to set up a mechanism in which the user is always within a found set that they can see.

Taking away the ability to view does NOT take away their ability to land on a record they cannot see...it simply populates all of the fields with "<<no access>>" which is annoying.

Instead, set a script on layout load that puts them in a found set according to what they are allowed to see, such as when Contacts::Department = "Sales".

• 2. Re: Limit Records to Department
            raphthepenguin

I see,

I was aware of that option! And that is what kind of what I wanted to do. I thought because of the Userexperiance it would be good to have a seperate layout only using the selected fields.

But I guess using the On Layout load would demolish that problem!

Thanks!