1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 7:47 PM by coherentkris

Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems

intex

Sounds akward, but I wish we would have some of the mobile functions of FM GO for the desktop too.

Regarding Windows 8 there are so many mobile devices with a desktop operating system capable of running FM PRO, but not FM GO. And these devices have, what iOS devices have: cameras, GPS etc.

So why not have

barcode scanning (Scriptstep Insert from device)

location services (function location)

have in FM Pro ? It´ll work on Ultrabooks, Win8 Tablets and many more.

• 1. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
          mikebeargie

Why not? Because apple is notorious for locking down hardware and not allowing "generic" hardware access to native functions. It's the same reason why apple will not allow OSX or iOS to be installed (legally) on non-apple manufactured devices. And also, you can be sure something like WebDirect will never have those functions either. While it would be nice to have such functions for the winPC desktop FM, I don't see it as happening natively. FMGo is purpose built for iOS, and I heard it direct from FIleMaker's mouth that they really have no interest in non-iOS mobile support. Not to mentioned as a subsidiary of apple, FM is probably not trying to look like they're circumventing apple's business by branching out to windows mobile devices.

That's not to say that you're out of luck though, there are plenty of examples out there of desktop integrations with external/capture devices with FileMaker. Barcode scanning, GPS dongles. TWAIN capture, heck even phidgets integration. IMHO, if you're waiting for apple to bring these functions to the desktop version, and not trying to roll your own, you probably don't need it badly enough in your solutions.

• 2. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
            intex

doesn´t FM Inc always tell us that they think "hybrid" Mac/Windows and sell more Windows licenses of FM than Mac? They even have Win only functions like "phone call" via TAPI, why shouldn´t they support the cams on desktop operating systems ? If FM GO installations and capabilities harm Apple´s turnover on iOS devices I`ll bet it would be the last day of iPhone and iPad.

• 3. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
              mikebeargie

If you're a desk jockey in a suit looking at numbers, sometimes logic doesn't matter. Like I said, I heard it from FileMaker's mouth that they have no interest in non-iOS mobile devices, and until I see or hear otherwise, I'm sticking to it.

It would be awesome to see cross-platform FM Go versions, but I dread the huge influx of questions on technet as people discover what doesn't work with their 1-of-thousands of device configurations. We're already seeing the same sort of influx with the release of WebDirect, and the limited browser/system support for that.

• 4. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                intex

you´re getting me wrong - I am not talking of a FM GO for something other than iOS, but for having the mobility functions in the normal desktop version of FM. That would do it for Win8.

• 5. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                  mikebeargie

I'm not getting you wrong, I was using the mobile platform as an example of apple's/FM's thinking.

TAPI isn't hardware dependent, it's a standard integrated into all versions of windows that hasn't really changed in over ten years. There are hundreds of models of barcode scanners, and thousands of configurations of cameras (webcams, integrated cameras, cameras via USB, etc..). The closest thing to a usable standardization is TWAIN, which is also outdated and relies heavily on non-OS utilities for completing capture. WIA, ISIS, and SANE are still very limited and unknown. Not to mention they change constantly and still aren't a "universal" thing.

They don't support cameras on desktop systems because they don't NEED to. Anyone that really NEEDS that function is probably already doing it via a plug-in. (IE here: http://www.troi.com/software/grabberplugin.html ). Why would any software developer want to open their software to malfunction by adding a huge variable like camera support, when there is little to no community demand, and already a viable solution via add-ons?

But who knows, some FM upgrades in past versions seem based on previous plug-in functionality, so watch FM14 have insert from desktop device or something like that worked in.

• 6. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                    jbante

There is one feature that works in FileMaker Go, doesn't work on desktop, and it has nothing to do with any limitations of desktop devices: scanning barcodes directly from a container field using Insert from Device. It doesn't use a camera, so why can't it work in FileMaker Pro? Somehow, I doubt it's a high priority, but it would still be nice.

• 7. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                      intex

I would guess that there is standard API for getting the location in Windows too. Every Modern UI App can grab the location - shouldn´t be so difficult for FM either.

• 9. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                        intex

You could always write a plug-in!

with this argument we will never need any new features in FileMaker anyway ...

• 10. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                          jormond

After talking with somone from FMI yesterday, some of this stuff is just a matter of time and budget. They have an exhaustive list of features they want to add. And only limited resources to properly implement and test.  Keep putting in feature requests. and a successful plugin helps drive features also.

• 11. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                            intex

and a successful plugin helps drive features also.

poor plugin developers - as soon as their plugin gets successful, they get confronted with their feature set integrated in the main program ... one reason more not to write and work with plugins ...

• 12. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems

It depends on how many years you are willing to wait.

Whoever has the most toys when he dies wins!

Winfried

--

Huslik Verlag GmbH • Bgm.-Widmeier-Str. 42 • 86179 Augsburg, DE

CEO Winfried Huslik - HRB Augsburg 12386 -  VAT-Id. DE127485099

Phone +49 821 565606, Fax +49 821 565001, Email info@fmdiff.com

Verify your FileMaker Pro files with FMDiff - http://fmdiff.com

FileMaker Developer Conference July 28-31 2014 • San Antonio TX

Linkedin: http://de.linkedin.com/pub/winfried-huslik/2/505/1a1/

• 13. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                                ch0c0halic

We have a system that works on iPad, iPhone, Laptop, and Desktop for barcode scanning. I hope my experience gives you the confidence that it can be done.

1. There is no reason to use a Container field with a Barcode scanner. The output of the scanner is text and can be entered directly into a text field.

2. Barcode scanners come with many different interface types. All scanners do not work with all devices. You need to use the one that is right for the device. Except Bluetooth scanners. We have used them with all these Apple Devices.

3. IMHO, Bluetooth is the ‘easiest’ interface. Set it for keyboard emulation and it just works. I once tested this with a Bluetooth scanner at a show. Linked it to my iPhone running the FMGo app and it worked first time. So we bought one and used it with our laptop running FMP and it also just worked.

4. We made this system many years ago and have been using it with several different barcode scanners for physical inventory World Wide.

• 14. Re: Feature request: Mobile functions for desktop operating systems
                                  jbante

1. There is no reason to use a Container field with a Barcode scanner. The output of the scanner is text and can be entered directly into a text field.

There sure isn't; but that doesn't mean there's no reason to scan a barcode image stored in a container field without the use of a separate scanner, which has been critically useful for me recently.

1 2 Previous Next