1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2014 2:26 AM by erolst

Related fields

colinmatthews

Hi all,

Is there a way of making a field ID match that of the record in another table so that they match and can be shown in a portal?

I have a Customer layout and a Tasks layout. I have a portal on the Customer layout from the Task layout. The problem is that if I add 5 Tasks to Customer #1 in the portal window then these tasks are added to customers 1-5 rather than all in Customer #1.

I realise that this is because both the Customer PK field and the Task FK field are set to auto-increment by 1 and have therefore tried the alternative options but none of these seem to work.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

• 1. Re: Related fields
          erolst

colinmatthews wrote:

I realise that this is because both the Customer PK field and the Task FK field are set to auto-increment by 1

That's the correct setting for a primary key, but you don't define a foreign key as serial increment; it is simply to receive the value of a primary key.

and have therefore tried the alternative options but none of these seem to work.

Make it an ordinary number field without auto-entry options; if the relationship is matching Customer::customerPK to Task:customerFK, then on creating a new portal row the foreign is set automatically, i.e. you are creating a related record.