1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 5:04 PM by robwoof

Encryption of FMS Files for Storage on Amazon S3 then lifecycled to Glacier

JFWX5

Hi,

Currently I'm using FMS13 with AES-256 encryption enabled. Am I correct to assume when I zip the FMS backup files and upload to S3 they are secure?

Also, I currently have many FMS backups in old pre-13 formats. What is the best way to encrypt these files before upload to S3 so I will be able to access if needed many years from now?

Zip then encryption or Encryption then Zip?

Open SSL, OS X terminal, ect.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Encryption of FMS Files for Storage on Amazon S3 then lifecycled to Glacier
          robwoof

Hi John,

One useful safe option for storing archives is an encrypted Disk Image. You can do this using Disk Utility (in the Applications/Utilities folder). Collect your old backups in Zip files, then use Disk Utility to create a New Disk Image and select "Encrypted" in the type drop-down. Give it a good, strong password (of course) and copy the zip file(s) into the encrypted Disk Image. When you unmount the image, its contents will be encrypted. Every time you want to read the contents of that image, you have to mount it (by double-clicking on it), and you need to provide the password to do that.

HTH

Rob