2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 2:23 AM by davehob

Family links, via portals and popovers

davehob

I’m trying to set up a “family links” function (FM13). I have a People table (PPL), and on the Person Detail layout I need the user to be able to select any other person from that table and say this person (B) is person A’s father/mother/son, etc.

So, I have a popover on the Person Detail layout in which the user can do a standard “spotlight search”, giving a list of matching names in a portal, based on a TO called PPL_PPL~filter, and the user can then highlight the name of the relative. So far, so good.

Where I’m stuck is with the second portal, also on the popover, where I want the user to be able to select the relationship type. The relationship types to be offered are, of course, dependent on the gender of the person selected – if that person is male, the relationship types are to be father, son, uncle, etc. (and mother, daughter, aunt, etc. if the selected person is female). These relationship types are held in a separate table (RTY). Once the relationship type has been selected, I’ll write a pair of complementary relationships to a REL (relationship) table.

But the problem I have is with showing eligible relationship types in the second portal. I have a relationship from PPL_PPL~filter to RTY based on gender, and the plan is that, once the user has selected a related Person, the “relationship type” portal (based on PPL_PPL_RTY) will update to show only the relationship types for the selected person’s gender. But it doesn’t. I’m assuming that it’s some sort of commit or refresh issue, but I’ve tried committing the record when the user selects a related person, and still no joy.

Having spent the whole afternoon on this, I’m now at the point where I think I must be doing something fundamentally wrong! Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dave (just back from a month in incredible India, and struggling to get back into gear!)

• 1. Re: Family links, via portals and popovers
          LyndsayHowarth

I THINK I understand what you are trying to do.

I don't think it is a commit or refresh issue  if the values are not showing when obviously committed.... but obviously also they won't evalueate until committed. Given they are separate portals, the data should have been committed on exiting the first portal.

Without seeing the specifics of your structure, though, it is a bit difficult to tell what is going on. Any chance of a sampler being uploaded?

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Family links, via portals and popovers
            davehob

Lyndsay,

Thanks for responding, and I’m sorry that my original post wasn’t clearly written.

I’ve made a simple demo file, which shows what I’m trying to achieve.  (In real life, there’s much more to it - a spotlight search in the popover to enable user to find the target relative, plus of course the writing of the Relationship records via the OK button, many more relationship types, etc., but I’m OK with all of that – I think...).

So the basic functionality is 1) select a relative, 2) select a relationship type, 3) write the relationship records.

I’ve actually got it working now, by setting a global which then drives the “relationship type” portal, but I wanted to post this sample to ask you whether it seems a sensible way to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave.