4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 2:05 PM by keywords

2 questions regarding the server version

karen_ep

Hi everyone,

This is Karen, a rather new user to File Maker Pro.

My company is considering to buy the File Maker server version, but we are not sure for the following 2 issues:

1) Could we still use the previous purchased File Maker Pro software (standalone PC version) after we install server version?

2) As understood, there is "license sharing" function for the standalone PC version. If we install the server version, will the sharing speed be quicker?

Hope my questions are clear and thanks for replies in advance.

• 1. Re: 2 questions regarding the server version
          steveromig

karen_ep wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is Karen, a rather new user to File Maker Pro.

My company is considering to buy the File Maker server version, but we are not sure for the following 2 issues:

1) Could we still use the previous purchased File Maker Pro software (standalone PC version) after we install server version?

FileMaker Server 13 is backward compatible with FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Go 12 clients.

2) As understood, there is "license sharing" function for the standalone PC version.  If we install the server version, will the sharing speed be quicker?

FileMaker Server 13 is optimized for file sharing so many features and aspects of file sharing will be enhanced over sharing files peer-to-peer using FileMaker Pro as the host.  So sharing may be quicker but that also has a lot to do with your network infrastructure too so that is a tough question to answer.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: 2 questions regarding the server version
            karen_ep

Hello Steve,

Thanks for reply.

Regarding the file sharing, if we use the current hardware config (remark: we are using File Maker Pro 12), will the sharing speed be quicker?

Karen

• 3. Re: 2 questions regarding the server version
              karen_ep

Hello Steve,

Another follow up question, which we are waiting for reply (note: the message was originally sent via e-mail).

Due to business need, my company would like to purchase 4 additional licenses of File Maker Pro 12.  Please provide quotation for our order placement.  Meanwhile, is there an option for us to receive the product license key via e-mail (as we are the current File Maker Pro user who own the software CD)?

Should you have any query on our request, please feel free to e-mail me by: karenlam@e-print.com.hk, thank you.

• 4. Re: 2 questions regarding the server version
                keywords

You can answer all of this for yourself on the FileMaker website.