AnsweredAssumed Answered

DB structural help, linking data between two tables and viewing them as one

Question asked by djacobsmeyer on Feb 7, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 by mikebeargie

Hey first time posting here. Forgive my lack of experience, I know just enough to make a mess.

I am working on a project to track performance metrics for a group of people over time. I currently have two tables, the first is a list of the people on the team with some 'people' related attributes, and the second table is the metrics we track. I have a primary key and foreign key setup for each.

Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 12.20.08.png

Here comes the question...

My main layout is going to be an all in one leaderboard of sorts. I need to be able to see, in list format I think unless theres a better way, 4-5 fields from each table. I believe I may end up having to use a portal, which I'd be ok with. However I have yet to figure out how to link a specific persons metrics to their table in the Technicians table. I tried setting up a portal using the fields I want and it didn't link them, so I know the problem is more structural than design or layout oriented.

I read about creating multiple TO's and self-join table and how that can give you more flexibility, but I'm not sure if that would help me or even specificly how to setup that up for this scenario.

How should I modify my DB design to achieve what I'm trying to accomplish?

Ten gold stars for the most helpful answer!

Outcomes