12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 1:03 AM by bigtom

FMP Powered Blog??

artmeakin

My apologies in advance if this is an inappropriate place to ask this question. I have googled and searched as many FMP solutions as I can the last couple of months off and on. I used to be a FMP Developer many years ago... late 80's early 90's. Getting back into the swing of things again. My question... is anyone or do you know of anyone or is it even possible to use FMP as the backbone or engine for a blog based site? If so I would very much like to pursue this venue if anyone is interested. Thanks.

• 1. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
          Mike_Mitchell

I do it on my site. PM me.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
            MarcDolley

I'd be interested in this too. We're being encouraged to set up a blog for our Neighbourhood Watch Group. Doing it in FileMaker would be so much easier.

Marc

• 3. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
              beverly

a 'blog' is typically:

1. a place to post articles with or without images and formatting.

• If you need these, you can create HTML from your database data and/or create in HTML editor and just put the HTML marked text into a field.

• these pages as HTML are best served as documents (it's what web servers do best), rather than push from database each time.

• you probably don't want to edit after the article is posted unless there are glaring errors. You can edit and "re-upload".

• images pushed from database are going to be much slower than from a directory on the web server (again, this is the best way that web servers work)

• formatting can be in the form of CSS (also on the web server), but could actually be a document ftp'd to the webserver from the db as changes are made as well [ CSS allows you to change "themes" easily without changing every single document]

• if you have links to documents (pdf, etc.) other than images, these too are best served from directory on the web server.

2. a place to comment with or without login

• login is best with "monitoring" so that spam and other comments aren't posted without your/admin approval

• comments can be delayed from display with the uses of a "pending" flag (field)

• a login requires the db to save the "users" - you may or may not allow them to change password and email (or other login names), but if you do this is a layer of security and extra programming

3. a place to list the blogs available for perusal

• since this probably changes more frequently a serving from the db is great

• "permalinks" are helpful for those wanting to book mark, so think of ways that you know the link wont break (consider names instead of numbers, should you need to change domains for some reason) - "This is a blog" ==> /domain.com/blogs/this-is-a-blog. then let the webserver FIND the correct documents (perhaps a query to the db at this point, too).

If you want more than this, of course, your complexity requires more work on your part. (multiple authors? tags/keywords? searches of the blogs? ...)

Sometimes its just great to use the existing blogs out there (WP, if you will, or others) that use PHP and MySQL. As long as you have access via ESS (permission), the work is all done for you (including and admin) and you can still see the data on the MySQL through FMP. CAVEAT: the way data sometimes gets posted to MySQL (encrypted and/or in non-sql normalization) can be hazardous to change via any external connection. But there you have some of my 2¢.

Beverly

• 4. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                ColinKeefe

You may want to look into this as well:

http://www.wordpressfilemaker.com

• 5. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                  BruceRobertson

And what would be the point of that? Dead and unresponsive for years.

• 6. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                    ColinKeefe

News to me, but then I only hear about requests like this once every three years.  That said, yours is a rather touchy response.

• 7. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                      jormond

Sadly, I have not heard anyone that has been in contact with Lauren since the summer of 2011. Just hoping she is ok?!

As for bruce's response, more short and efficient than touchy. That is the tricky part with text responses.

ColinKeefe wrote:

News to me, but then I only hear about requests like this once every three years.  That said, yours is a rather touchy response.

• 8. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                        timcimbura

I don't think building a blog from scratch with FileMaker as a backend is going to be any easier than setting up a WordPress web site that is designed to include a blog...and has a super strong community with tons of support.

https://www.geistinteractive.com/2014/02/09/can-wordpress-teach-filemaker/?utm_content=bufferf2a2f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We integrate WordPress web sites directly with FileMaker using ESS and have been quite successful when the use case needs it.

http://cimbura.com/tech/2010/12/14/affordable-professional-websites-with-wordpress/

I would suggest you use the best tool for the task. So to answer your question. It can be done...but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of free time available to "reinvent the wheel". Hope that helps.

Take Care,

Tim

• 9. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                          lkeyes

Hi, Marc...... 

You might want to check out Front Porch Forum.  http://frontporchforum.com/  as a possible prototype for your Neighborhood Watch project. 

• 10. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                            NickLightbody

Beverly - I shall copy and keep your overview - a beautiful synopsis - thank you!

Cheers,Nick

• 11. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                              artmeakin

I want to thank everyone that responded... I am so sorry I lapsed in responding... can't believe its been 2.5 years since I posted that. Had heart-surgery and been recovering. Ready to get back at it.

This perhaps is not the place to respond or make a new post on this... but:

(1) Since 2014 would you still say the FMP is or is not a solution to a Blog??

(2) I am looking to use FMP to manage the content of MANY websites, several databases, and being a gateway reporting/dashboard of sorts. Anyone doing anything as sophisticated as that??

Thanks everyone.... you're all awesome. ARTR

• 12. Re: FMP Powered Blog??
                                bigtom

Joshua Ormond wrote:

Sadly, I have not heard anyone that has been in contact with Lauren since the summer of 2011. Just hoping she is ok?!

As for bruce's response, more short and efficient than touchy. That is the tricky part with text responses.

ColinKeefe wrote:

News to me, but then I only hear about requests like this once every three years. That said, yours is a rather touchy response.

I apologize in advance for hijacking a thread from the dead in this manner,but I do feel strongly about this.

jormond BruceRobertson ColinKeefe and anyone else who may care. Lauren is fine. She seems to be doing a lot of traveling from what she told me last. I paid for her previous wordpressfilemaker product in late 2013 and something was broken on her end and I never got a working registration code. She was very fairly responsive to my questions before purchase and then disappeared after I had paid aside from some canned responses about how things should be working.

Sometime in mid 2015 I got an email from Lauren responding to my issues and she invited me to purchase her latest version at a discounted  price. The discount I was offered was more than the upgrade price had she provided me with a working registration code for the previous version. It was also more overall since the price of previous version plus the discount price on the previous version was a bit more than just buying the new version outright without any discount.

Despite my unhappiness about the situation in general I kindly asked her to provide me with a working registration code for the previous version so I could upgrade or credit my previous version price toward the current version. I never heard back from her after that.

Not sure about her history with the FM community but from my experience she does not hesitate to take your money and run. I found that I was not the only person with this issue and that there was/is a group of people whom she took money from and never delivered. Wordpress has come a along way and I really question what is "New" about here product anyway aside from the fact that it become more expensive. The WP XML RPC it is based on has not changed in years.

WP now has a decent API now that is likely what people should be looking towards if they want to integrate FM with a WP blog.

artmeakin FMP can be a nice tool for managing a blog. There are things like Wordpress that do a great job as well. I have used FM and Wordpress together a few times in a few different ways and it works well.

Stay away from Lauren's product though.