7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 8:01 AM by disabled_jackrodgers

Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13

maddie

A solution I've been working on is something that I'd like to see on FileMaker 13 with all of it's new features. Currently it is running on FM12 for desktop and iPad, one of the features I implimented was a update function for the iPad. For example, if a local copy on the iPad has a lower version number than the server copy, the user is promted for update with a yes or no option. Tapping no has no effect on the iPad's data while yes will import all records to the corresponding tables by pkID.

I pulled a copy down from my 12 server and proceeded to upload it to the 13 server with no problems at all. I then remapped the import process for the offline copy and copy and pasted the script steps into the online version, double checking that the import won't go to the wrong file and that the correct accounts were being called. When I ran the update again on FMGo13 the import to compare version numbers failed, and the database proclaimed that there were no updates available when I knew just before I launched the file the online copy had a higher version number than the copy on my iPad. So I took the copy off and ran the import again on the desktop, this time the database recognized that a update was available. This is very confusing since I know the first import script step is the problem, as it is either not connecting to the online file at all or something else has gone wrong.

• 1. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13
          rgordon

Here are a couple things to try or check.  Add an Open step to the script to make sure that FM Go is seeing the file on the server. If the file doesn't open, then your import won't work.  Also make sure you check Perfom without dialog box  in the Import Record step.  You are probably going to want to close the server file on the iPad when finished.  I find that Close Window is more effective than Close File.  For some reason the Close File doesn't seem to always work.

• 2. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13
            maddie

Although it did make connecting and disscontecting to the file much easier, I already had perform without dialog activated. I connect to the file, to make sure I have an internet connection because for this solution I plan that the user isn't going to be connected to wi-fi all the time. Once connected I close the window and then I move onto the version update and it still doesn't import the new numbers.

• 3. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13
              rgordon

"Once connected I close the window"  What window are you closing?  If it is the window to the file on the server, leave this file open until after the import.  Then close it.  What does your path look like that you are using to connect to the server?

• 4. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13
                maddie

I am closing the server database, since opening it is a basic check to see if there even is internet available and the file is there. I am usung the open file script step to open remotely, using the file on the server, if the error is 802 I exit the script if there's no error I close the window which is the server file's.

• 5. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13
                  rgordon

Is the file path you are using to open the file, the same file path you are using to do the import?  Try closing the server file after the import.

• 6. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13
                    maddie

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was pulled away to focus on other projects and only got back to this one just now. A close window does not close the file that is opening on the server, I have tried a lone Get HostName and a PatternCount ( Get HostName ) with the server name as the search string. Neither one of those worked. I have also tried putting off the close file at the end of the script, and it is still failing in the same location on the first import.

One more thing before I forget, before I tried any of this I re-wrote the script from scratch to make sure any loose strands weren't flying about. I did not copy or paste anything into the script, only selecting the options from the list of steps.

• 7. Re: Unable to import on FileMakerGo 13

Use the close file step to close the file on your device. This will not close the file that the server has open as the Admin Console is used to close files that are open on the server (there are other methods but we won't discuss those).

Also, closing a window that displays a file on the server may not close the file if it is being linked to in another file you have opened. Sometimes those show up in the hidden menu.

Set a variable or global field using

DatabaseNames

WindowNames {( fileName )}

TableNames ( fileName )

And you can use this info to see what is happening in your work area.

DatabaseNames will give a list of the databases.

Use one of those in WIndowNames to get the list of windows for a particular database.

Use one of the database names to see what table names you are using.

With a little BST (Winston Churchill) you could create a real time hierarchical report of what is happening on your device.