2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 8:44 AM by BruceHerbach

FileMaker 12 crashes when closing if FileMaker 13 is open?

BruceHerbach

This may be a bug so I wanted to know if others are having this problem before I report it. Currently I am doing most of my work in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13. I frequently end up having to look at a FileMaker 12 database while FileMaker 13 is still open. I end up with two problems.

On both 12 and 13 I set it to Deny on File sharing. When I open a multifile solution in 12 I get a warning message as it opens each file in the solution. "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer. This more of an annoyance then a real issue. I do have sharing turned off on both version. That doesn't mean that the first one in doesn't take control of the port number.

The real issue comes when I try to close and exit FileMaker 12. The solution has a script that closes all of the files and exits It closes the files, then it gives me the warning "FileMaker cannont share files..." FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 then crashes and the apple bug report comes up.

If I open a single file solution, close the file and exit FileMaker Pro 12 advanced. Most of the time it closes cleanly. I do get a spinning beach ball for a bit when I close FileMaker Pro 12 advanced.

If FileMaker Pro 13 is not opened first it works and closes normally.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Bruce

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 crashes when closing if FileMaker 13 is open?
          DamianKelly

If you sharing plugins between the 12 and 13 this can happen, ie if all your plugins are in:

Library/Application Support/Filemaker/Extensions

Having them in one spot is easier for support though.

You can put them individually in:

Library/Application Support/Filemaker Pro Advanced/12.0/Extensions/

and

Library/Application Support/Filemaker Pro Advanced/13.0/Extensions/

But you will have two copies.

I wish I could remember which plugin caused me the issue.......

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker 12 crashes when closing if FileMaker 13 is open?
            BruceHerbach

HI,

I'm finding that if I have the script that closes and exits the program,  just close the files.  The Exit manually,  most of the time it exits with out a problem.  Apparently having the exit FileMaker script step exit the program is causing an issue. 

I think most of the plugins are in the .../12/Extensions or .../13/Extensions folder,  but not all.  Depends on when/how they were installed.

Thanks

Bruce