4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 5:43 AM by beverly

database for contacts (with different groups, but related to each other)

kvm

Hi all,

I am working just recently with filemaker. I am still figuring out how relations etc. works.

I have specific question;

I want to sort all my contactpersons and think the standard solution from filemaker is a very good start.

However, i want to link different persons to different groups.

E.g. one person should be under group 'Family', but also under the group 'clients' and 'special clients'.

This will make it easer when I want to invite only clients or only special clients.

Is this possible?

Thanks for the advise!

• 1. Re: database for contacts (with different groups, but related to each other)
          mariusjostfm

Hey Kvm,

this is simple: You have several options - I am sure other forum members will add to my answer.

What I woudl do is:

TABLE_PERSON

PersonID      Name

1                  Marius

2                  Kvm

3                  Jon Doe

TABLE_GROUPPROPERTY

PersonID      Group

1                  Clients

1                  SpecialClients

2                  Family

2                  Creditor

3                  Family

You will have to connect PersonID (make a relation) in the Manage Database View. This is a structure that allows you to assign as many Group properties as you wish to the same person.

Insert a portal into your persons-layout. Let the portal show data from the table "TABLE_GROUPPROPERTY". Make the relation such that it allows to create new records in the table "TABLE_GROUPPROPERTY". Now, you will be able to add new Group Features to each person you are currently browsing.

If you use a value list to enter the Group Names in that Portal, you can be sure to always use the same set of Group names. This prevents you from Entering "Special Clients" once and "specialClients" at an other occasion. It s important when searching data or creating reports.

Good luck.

(and ask for details / screenshots if you don t understand a specific aspect)

My best

Marius

• 2. Re: database for contacts (with different groups, but related to each other)
            kvm

Hi Marius,

thanks for your answer! I'll try it later this week! Takes some time to figure out everything...

Koen

• 3. Re: database for contacts (with different groups, but related to each other)
              davehob

Following on from Marius's suggestion, I would be inclined to go one step further, and have a separate GROUPS table, linked to PEOPLE via a MEMBERSHIPS table (the join table).

PEOPLE

P_id             Name

1                  Marius

2                  Kvm

3                  Jon Doe

GROUPS

G_id             Group

1                  Clients

2                  SpecialClients

3                  Family

4                  Creditor

MEMBERSHIPS

M_id     P_id     G_id

1          1          1

2          1          2

3          2          2

4          2          4

5          2          3

etc.

The relationships will be:

People -> Memberships <- Groups

Your portal on a "People" layout will show Memberships for the current Person, with Group data coming directly from the Groups table, i.e. the join table holds only the key values.  (Although it could later hold further information about that Membership, hence the flexibility.)

Happy to provide further help if required.

Dave.

• 4. Re: database for contacts (with different groups, but related to each other)
                beverly

This is the method I use. Your memberships is your join file, but really can have loads of information (fields) unique to each membership. You may or may not have additional table(s) with the information based on diverse types of memberships, but unless there is a compelling reason for the additions, the use of slightly 'unnormalized' data may fit well in this join file.

For example, a FAMILY is a unique group with 1+ members. These people may have a family membership in a health club, or have individual membership. I believe you can deal with both situations in the single join file.

Now things like comm & addresses can relate to groups and/or individuals... But I digress from the topic.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--