2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 8:29 PM by RossHurley

Connect from FM Go to host FMP

RossHurley

Hi all,

I'm still working on an import script for an iPhone to update a host DB running FM Pro when the iPhone gets back into WiFi range for a farm management system. The import scripts work fine when testing by manually opening the host file from the iPhone and running the import script on the host. Now I want to streamline the process so the user just clicks one button on the iPhone to run the update process.

There is a potential vertical market for this, to small farms with probably just one computer in the office and FM Go running on iOS devices. All methods of scripting an import I've seen and tried rely on specifying an IP address of the host computer. In these situations I can' rely on a fixed IP address. I've been through all the FM Go papers and discussions and done an internet search, but can find no other way of connecting. Even the process described in FMI's paper on synching between FM Go and FMP seems to rely on connecting by IP address.

Is there any way FM Go can run a script on a host computer over WiFi without specifying an IP address?

Thanks,

Ross Hurley

Somewhere in the bush in Australia

• 1. Re: Connect from FM Go to host FMP
          Mike_Mitchell

Short answer: No.  

Longer answer: I have my development machine (iMac) on a DHCP lease through my router. It doesn't have a fixed IP. Hence, the IP address can change (and sometimes does) when the router loses power or the ISP decides to have a bad day. So, to work through this, I've implemented a syncing strategy that is essentially a series of If - Else If statements, coupled with records in a table holding different (albeit 99% identical) versions of the sync connector file. I have the different possible IP addresses preprogrammed into the If - Else If branching and have the deployed file test to see if the hosted file is among them. If not, it fails out.

Now, for a vertical market solution, this may not work. Depending on how IP addresses are assigned by the routers and ISPs your customers use, you may be dealing with so wide a variety of addresses that this approach is not feasible. But I thought I would throw it out for consideration.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Connect from FM Go to host FMP
            RossHurley

Thanks Mike. The short answer, sadly, was the one I expected. However, I've found a way that seems to work, at least with a Mac as the host. Replacing the host's IP address with its computer name (Sharing system pref on Mac) works fine. A PC on the LAN can see the Mac host via this file reference, and the import script run from the iPhone successfully transferred new records based on this file reference. However it doesn't work using the PC as the host and specifying the PC's computer name (the name I can see in Open Remote). It works with the PC's IP address, not with its name.

Two questions for anybody. Why didn't my test with the PC work - have I used the wrong computer name? And, if it should work using a PC as a host, is it a reliable technique? If a vertical market eventuates, is it safe to simply tailor the file reference to the user's host computer name?

Ross