2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 9:24 PM by BruceHerbach

WebDirect screen flash?

BruceHerbach

I'm working with a new DB setup for WebDirect. This is the first time I have had the opportunity to see it actually hosted and access it over the internet. The layouts have been tweaked to use one of the Aspire themes and the amount of objects on the layout has been minimised. I find that when I click into a field or type a character the screen grays out and then comes clear again. If I click on an arrow for a drop down menu I see several of these flashes before the drop down menu appears.

Is this normal for WebDirect? Is there anything I can do to minimise or eliminate this? This behavior was not apparent in the demos at Devcon or in demonstration videos like the one Richard Carlson has put out.

Initial development was done on a LAN connection and this behavior was not present.

Thanks

Bruce

• 1. Re: WebDirect screen flash?
          DavidZakary

Hi Bruce,

In the drop down menu - is the menu being dynamically generated or is it fixed content? If dynamically generated, the flash may be a burp while its figuring out what to display. Does this happen on subsequent visits to the drop down?

• 2. Re: WebDirect screen flash?
            BruceHerbach

Hi David,

The menu is a simple fixed content menu.  I spent a fair amount of time on this today and did some checks on a couple of the hosting sites that have demo files hosted so you can see the performance.  The ones I tried all exhibited this type of lag and screen flash when connected via WebDirect over the internet/WAN.  I was able to confirm that most of these were single server deployments.  Since these were demo sites I expect that user load was very small,  probably just me.  So that would meet the FileMaker configuration.  I wasn't able to find a test site that had a seperate Web server. 

Bruce