sgbotsford

Feature suggestion:  Smarter conversion from Excel

Discussion created by sgbotsford on Feb 20, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 by Vyke

I'm in a trial at this point, so my approach is that of a newby. I will post some impressions as I go through this in hopes of making FM a better product.

I currently have an inventory system based in excel. To reduce reentry I have two workbooks with 4 columns in the Inventory speadsheet based on lookups into the abbreviations worksheet.

I was dissapointed in FM. FM didn't seem to be aware that *anything* was happening in the spread sheet, it just slurped it over as values.

What I expected to happen:

1. With the reference to the second workbook, offer to import that worksheet also.

2. Replace instances of VLOOKUP in the first workbook with a relationship.

3. Replace calcuated fields in the first workbook with calculated fields.

4. Construct a checklist of things that would need to be checked to verify that it was working correctly.

5. If a form existed in the source spreadsheet do a first approximation of that form in a layout.

6. If parts of the source worksheet were protected, at least show them in a different colour in the layout to show that they needed checking.

7. If parts of the source worksheet had validation, try to implement that validation, or at least mark them.

Outcomes