4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 4:02 PM by blume

Script printing irregular if printing one page out of many?

Maclurv

Okay, I've hit another anomaly so I'm asking is it me and my computer or something in Filemaker?

I like to look at printed scripts rather than on screen all the time. So I printed off some of the pages of a long script, went fine, and then I noticed I needed one more page. So I went to print just page 3 and got a blank piece of paper. Tried it again, same thing.

I've also noticed that often a script step gets omitted on the bottom of the printed page and the next page starts in as if the last line of script was there.

I'm running on an iMac with Maverick, using FMP Advanced 13.

I did just save script as pdf. The pdf copy also doesn't have all the script steps listed.

Is this a bug in FMP13?

Thanks!

Pat

• 1. Re: Script printing irregular if printing one page out of many?
          LyndsayHowarth

I can't actually answer your question without some testing... but may I suggest that you print the whole document to a PDF via the OS print dialog... then physically print your page from that.

The problem is one of pagination and the reality is that there is little-to-none when it comes to printing scripts and field definitions.

- Lyndsay

Yes... I said "PRINT" to PDF, not saveas PDF...

Message was edited by: Lyndsay Howarth

• 2. Re: Script printing irregular if printing one page out of many?
            LyndsayHowarth

And printing scripts is something that most people tire of pretty quickly and it is SUCH a waste of resources.

The problem is that we all want something to cling on to when we haven't got the dialog open or to mark-up.

One thing you can do is to use FileMaker Pro Advanced (FMA) and do a DDR (Database Design Report) which can be viewed and searched in a web browser and printed .

Also... FMA has an excellent Script Debugger as well as a Data Watcher to keep an eye on variables while scripts are running and to be able to calculate something without having to go to the Manage Database until you have the calculation you need.

HTH

- Lyndsay

• 3. Re: Script printing irregular if printing one page out of many?
              Maclurv

Thanks, Lyndsay, I'll try the PDF print vs save as.

It's just puzzling as it has always worked for me in other versions. Yes, I use the the Debugger alot! There is just something being on paper for me when I'm wrestling with a sticky problem. And to print from the ScriptManager much quicker that the DDR.

Pat

• 4. Re: Script printing irregular if printing one page out of many?
                blume

I was referred to this post by FM tech support in response to an issue I reported. Not sure this is the same issue, but maybe they're related.

When using Script Manager to print multiple scripts (not necessarily long scripts), I find that any script selected for printing that has no script steps in it (i.e., the body of the script is empty) causes some seemingly random number of subsequent scripts to be skipped entirely. That means that script separators (scripts with a title of "-" and otherwise empty) cause unpredictalbe printed results. It's demonstrable on any of the starter solutions that use script separators.

FMP13 on Windows 7 Pro