2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2014 11:13 AM by taylorsharpe

Web Portal differences in iOS for double quotes

taylorsharpe

I have been doing a lot of maps and web scraping with the Google Maps API and it generally works well.

One issue I have run into several times that seems to trip me up regularly is the fact that web portals on a computer (Mac or Windows) behaves differently than an iOS regarding double quotes. On a computer, I do a web scrape to search for character strings that include a double quote and do that using the escape character, the back slash. So, to search for something like:

adb"dkjf"kjdfl

I would search for:

"abd"dkjf"kjdfl"

And this works fine on the web portal on a Mac or PC.

However, it does not work on an iOS devices like an iPad or iPhone. On it, I have to search for:

"abd&quot.dkjf&quot.kjdfl".

So when web scraping and the solution will have to support iOS and regular FileMaker, I have to do things like make an If statement that tests if the Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 3, to use the &quot. instead of a regular double quote.

It makes you wonder why there are differences between the platforms. Obviously this is just one difference and I'm sure there are other special characters having the same issues. Does anyone have a list of the characters that behave differently in web portals on iOS devices?