10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 10:15 AM by davidsan

Why have Bonjour with DNS?

webhog

I'm running FileMaker Server 13 on a Windows 2008 R2 server. The server name is in our DNS and every user just puts the server name in the Open Remote / Favorite Hosts. Everything works this way. I don't have to give the users an IP address and it's one less service I need to have running on the server. (That's why I'm posting this here. Performance).

So if I can't find a reason to have Bonjour installed on the server how do I get rid of the "Error The Bonjour service is either not installed or not running" message?

Thanks,

WH

• 1. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
          PeterWindle

Ok, I'm not an expert, but here's the thing that I've experienced:

Don't rely on DNS, always use IP addresses..

why?

Example:

An organisation I have done work for had local DNS and when editing scripts etc, there where referenced files located on the server. Easy peasy, choose the server file in the Open Remote dialogue box and away you go.

But in true Microsoft fashion, the DNS failed. Result: The domain name was resolved by an EXTERNAL DNS. Opening the referenced file took AGES to open.

Not fun.

Bonjour is a different kettle of fish, as far as I know, it only works on local networks and broadcasts names of devices (a bit like AppleTalk used to in the bad old days), not sure why it's required by the server though?

Like I said, I'm no expert, so please, anyone out there correct me if I am wrong, it's been some time since I've been in the Apple scene.

• 2. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
            wimdecorte

PeterWindle wrote:

Ok, I'm not an expert, but here's the thing that I've experienced:

Don't rely on DNS, always use IP addresses..

I'll take the opposite view.  Use DNS wherever you can.  It makes for easy switch-over from one server to another, which is a crucial part in any disaster recover plan.  By insisting on not using DNS you'd alienate yourself to your client's IT/Network team if they have one.

• 3. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
              wimdecorte

webhog wrote:

So if I can't find a reason to have Bonjour installed on the server how do I get rid of the "Error The Bonjour service is either not installed or not running" message?

Bonjour is what makes the "local hosts" show up from the clients.  There is no real need for it if you don't use it. I'm guessing you are getting that error message on the server?  When you installed FMS were you asked if you wanted bonjour or not?

• 4. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                davidsan

I have to agree with Peter Windle.

I have had the DNS situation he specifies quite a lot of times. Some how, the DNS process fails (or become very slow to resolve) and the FileMaker Server cannot be found, or it is extremely slow to respond.

Also, I have the issue, that the network becomes unbelievably slow when this DNS (A Windows Server 2008 machine) goes heywire. I solved the issue using IP a fixed IP address to the find the FileMaker Server.

While FileMaker machines can work fine with the FileMaker Server using the IP, the network becomes very slow sharing documents when this situation happens. I am considering to turn off the DNS and Active Directory in the Server. If someone knows what should be causing this I am all ears.

• 5. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                  davidsan

I have seen installing Bonjour does not slow down the network. Unless it is a avery large network, such as a campus. I remember reading complaints about the overhead of the protocol on some American Universities, particularly for printers.

I think it is required only to find the server, since it broadcast its location using that technology. If Bonjour is not installed, I think the server name is not shown on the open remote dialog.

Maybe creating a subnet could help if you are in a very large network.

• 6. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                    beverly

+ 1 on the DNS. That's what it's designed for! The client with many servers can even have their own DNS server set up. Switching to a new server may have a different IP, but the setting can more quickly be made in ONE place (the DNS server). Having to go find all references to an IP (including users' shortcuts) can be difficult.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 7. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                      taylorsharpe

Bonjour is not needed except for local host discovery. Nice when everything is on a single LAN, but you are right that every additional service takes up cycles and bandwidth.  So for performance, kill Bonjour and you'll be doing better.  Plus, as FileMaker becomes used more and more as a Cloud service, the actual server is not going to be on the client's LAN.  So Bonjour is pointless on the server in those cases and just minimizes efficiency. 

FYI, using DNS is preferred solution over IPs.  If you don't know how to manage your DNSs and are having problems with them, then you need to learn BIND or get a real network guy to fix your network.  When moving servers, all you have to do is update the A record and everything moves to the new IP, etc.  This becomes more important as you use FileMaker in an enterprise realm.  If you're just a single LAN and/or smaller operation, you can blow off DNS and just go with Bonjour or IPs like Peter suggested. 

• 8. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                        LyndsayHowarth

For a Mac... agree.

Not sure on Win... but I know for sure there is a lot of configuration trying to get it all right. Make sure you have reverse DNS records.

With all the ISP filtering and nanny-states being installed I have seen early signs of terrible things to come. Not happy. I did some Lookups the other day for a client which did not come from the whois authority but instead from the ISP... with the result just domain-->IPAddress. No Primary or secondary DNS listings... nothing! How on earth are we suppose to be able to support people as this kind of thing increasingly seems to be happening.

- Lyndsay

• 9. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                          DavidJondreau

If your server can't handle a Bonjour service running without a noticeable performance hit, there's something wrong.

I'm a huge fan of DNS services. For general use, I recommend dyndns.com services. Create a custom DNS and point it wherever you want. As Win says, if you need to swtich servers, change the settings and users never know the difference.

• 10. Re: Why have Bonjour with DNS?
                            davidsan

Dyndns is used to acces a server on the internet. In that situation a DNS helps to know where the FileMaker Server is since IP address by Internet providers are usually dynamic. This is the right way.

In a LAN, Bonjour is the default technology and it is a lot easier to handle, unless you are in a very large network and encounter Bonjour limitations.