10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 5:30 AM by beverly

xml queries from external website

AussieMT

GDay gurus....

I have a FMS13 hosted file

xml is active and

http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-db=eRTS&-lay=erts&-findall

retrieves all data, etc confirming xml is active and the data route etc is open through the firewall etc etc

BUT I want to

a. having entered data on a external website field, copy this and

b. enter data in one field on my fmp database

c. initiate a script to build the report field

d. recall data from report field for display on the external webpage

Sorry ... but all I have read does not seem to point me in the right direction for dealing only with one field, and for that matter, one record, so I am open to examples/hints/help

Thanks

Michael T

• 1. Re: xml queries from external website
          steve.winter

First a question - do you need to do this with the XML interface...? you'd probably find far more resources to help if you used PHP (for example)....?

• 2. Re: xml queries from external website
            AussieMT

I agree and would prefer to use  php

The prospective client has replied with  '... the agency really need an XML feed'

Given that the data is calculated based on entered data, it is not possible (and I am not prepared to yet!) to export all the possible report data.

• 3. Re: xml queries from external website
              wimdecorte

"an XML feed" typically means something else than the very targeted actions you describe in a through d.  Try and get some clarity from them about that.

Are you going to be the one doing the coding on the external website or is someone else doing that?  What web scripting technology is used on that remote site?  PHP?  .NET? Ruby?

Actions a through c can be done with any of these.  "d" is probably where they want the result in XML format (the feed?).  Ask them what XML grammar they expect because you may have to translate FM's grammar in what they expect.

• 4. Re: xml queries from external website
                beverly

'really need an XML feed' ... you'll want to know in what form?

• Do they make a query to FM and get XML result from an URL? Can this be done from their application? (PULL)

• Do they need a DOCUMENT (in xml format) that is FTP'd to a particular directory on their server? - (Export from FM) and transmission to wherever.

• Do they need FM web publishing to PUSH the XML to their server?

• Do they need it as a SOAP transmission (request w/ response - PULL & PUSH)?

• In what schema/grammar do they need the XML formatted? Do you need to apply XSLT to one of the FMP grammars?

By the way, PHP can take care of all the above.

Otherwise, you need some manual manipulation, use of plug-in(s), or other means.

I do many "feeds" in many formats. You need the specifics!

taking your request:

a. having entered data on a external website field, copy this and

b. enter data in one field on my fmp database

c. initiate a script to build the report field

d. recall data from report field for display on the external webpage

a. what do you mean by "copy"? is it just 'text' in a field or does the external web site do something with what's in the field (with javascript, perhaps, or with another web application)? Can it not just be SENT directly into a FileMaker field with one of the methods (web publishing with or without PHP)

b. is this additional data or just what in the "copy"

c. trigger a script - manually or automatically (you do know about the fmp::// protocol, right? it may require permissions, of course, but can trigger a script with parameters, even!)

d. PUSHING the results back to the external webpage, ok that's a post

and this all sounds a lot like a SOAP request/response. What can they do from their website? what web application is it running? What database is it running?

Beverly

• 5. Re: xml queries from external website
                  beverly

oops, Wim beat me to the reply. definitely get more clarity!

• 6. Re: xml queries from external website
                    AussieMT

Steve, Wim & Beverley, thanks for the specifics. I have gone back and asked more questions...

Re my abcd .. maybe not the best description of the process.

To give you some idea of what I am trying to exchange between the existing filemaker files and the remote website, have a look at the test page

eRTS: RoverTravelScript web browser trial

I think you get a better idea of what I am trying to achieve, just need to decide/convince them on the HOW!

• 7. Re: xml queries from external website
                      beverly

This is a Web Direct interface (for display) of record(s). That doesn't tell me anything about what you need do with/for external website.

Beverly

• 8. Re: xml queries from external website
                        AussieMT

OK,

agree that it is web direct, seemed like the quickest way to display functionality required.

2 primary tasks

A

1. on external website, want to have users enter a country name in a field, this data is then copied and placed in eRTS::Countries.

2. then want the eRTS::CountryInfo data 'copied' for display on external website

At this time I am not really interested in what it looks like, just trying to get some help to build a sample url, configured to place data in Country and another to read the CountryInfo field.

I can then alter this to fit for the Vaccines, Diseases and Drugs.

B

1. enter country as in A

2. perform the script: Add Country to Itinerary

and likewise with A, I can reconfigure this url to prepare TravelReport and YF Report

Hope this helps make it a little clearer...

• 9. Re: xml queries from external website
                          AussieMT

I see you have published a book on this subject. Is there anywhere where I can buy an eCopy?

• 10. Re: xml queries from external website
                            beverly

No, but the web publishing is the one part that has changed and I don't think it would help for what you want. The IMPORT/EXPORT & usage with or without XSLT is all the same.

You need to give them XML results in a field still, this can also be calculated.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--