11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 9:28 AM by mclasen@mclasen.com

DDR Error

mclasen@mclasen.com

SAXParseException: expected end of tag 'LayoutCatalog' (Occurred in entity '/private/var/folders/3m/wq965wc148j8g9z28cw3_dgw0000gn/T/FMTEMPFM48490_13.tmp', at line 1197083, column 19.)

what is the best way to identify and fix this error

DDR fails

FMA 13

• 1. Re: DDR Error
          wimdecorte

Open the XML file in a good XML editor and scroll to the LayoutCatalog to see if there is any malformed XML in there.  If you find what it is you can perhaps remove the offending object from the layout that is affected.

I've seen issues with the DDR like this with portals or tab panels in the footer area of the layout.

• 2. Re: DDR Error
            nickorr

This is usually an issue on a layout somewhere.  Either invalid XML characters, or a broken object that is outputting bad XML.  We do a lot of diagnosing of this for our BaseElements product, so if you're happy to share the XML file, I can have a look and locate the issue for you.  Contact me directly ( nick@goya.com.au ) for details if you'd like.

Cheers,

Nick

• 3. Re: DDR Error

This error is definitely caused by the use of a literal return character, i.e. a return surrounded by quotes in one of your calculations.

You must use char(10) instead to avoid this case.

Open the file mentioned in the error message with a good plain text editor and check the error location (line 1,197,083, column 19).

You may find soemthing like "x0B" there. Then step line wise upwards until you recognize the calculation containing this (field definition or script step).

Further up you find the table or script name. Then use FileMaker to change your calculation. If this is repeated with a different line, repeat that procedure.

-Winfried

--

Huslik Verlag GmbH • Bgm.-Widmeier-Str. 42 • 86179 Augsburg, DE

CEO Winfried Huslik - HRB Augsburg 12386 -  VAT-Id. DE127485099

Phone +49 821 565606, Fax +49 821 565001, Email info@fmdiff.com

Verify your FileMaker Pro files with FMDiff - http://fmdiff.com

FileMaker Developer Conference July 28-31 2014 • San Antonio TX

Linkedin: http://de.linkedin.com/pub/winfried-huslik/2/505/1a1/

• 4. Re: DDR Error
                beverly

Do you mean Double-quote + pilcrow + Double-quote ?

Or did you mean Double-quote + ( hit the enter/return key ) + Double-quote

(Or a variation of pasting a 'return' in between the "")

Thx

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 5. Re: DDR Error

I did not mention a pilcrow which could be legal (not tested).

-Winfried

--

Huslik Verlag GmbH • Bgm.-Widmeier-Str. 42 • 86179 Augsburg, DE

CEO Winfried Huslik - HRB Augsburg 12386 -  VAT-Id. DE127485099

Phone +49 821 565606, Fax +49 821 565001, Email info@fmdiff.com

Verify your FileMaker Pro files with FMDiff - http://fmdiff.com

FileMaker Developer Conference July 28-31 2014 • San Antonio TX

Linkedin: http://de.linkedin.com/pub/winfried-huslik/2/505/1a1/

• 6. Re: DDR Error
                    beverly

Right! the pilcrow in calculations should be legal. Perhaps the paste or key-entry of "literal returns" is due to several factors which could result in the incorrect character.

Char(10) is the standard LF (line feed), ASCII 10, HEX 0A

Char(13) is the standard CR (carriage return), ASCII 13, HEX 0D

A pasted "return" from Word for example, may be the CRLF.

But could there be another character (or two) which FM thinks is 'return', but is not legal in XML (the DDR)?

Beverly

• 7. Re: DDR Error

Beverly,

You can't tie it to just the return character (which is internally converted to /x0B), a literal NULL character (HEX 0, entered on Windows as Ctrl-@, couldn't enter it on a Mac except with paste) causes the same effect.

Winfried

• 8. Re: DDR Error
                        beverly

Ah you speak of the "return-in-field" (whether entered, pasted or calculated) and some FileMaker exports do convert to /x0B, which is the VT (vertical tab), because the CR is the record separator. However, the XML export (and I assume the DDR) should not convert those to /x0B, as XML does uses other means to tag a "row/record".

Yes, I wouldn't rely on many of these "unprintable/odd" characters in a field for use with anything, especially the DDR. Remember when Ctrl-G would actually ring a bell?

A quick chart for characters 0-127

<http://www.nthelp.com/ascii.htm>

GIGO - Garbage (invalid characters) In, does in this case result in Garbage Out (mangled DDR XML)!

Thanks, for the clarifications

Beverly

• 9. Re: DDR Error

Beverly,

Yes, I have published this a few years ago on <http://fmdiff.com/fm/cleantext.html> in a different context.

-Winfried

• 10. Re: DDR Error
                            beverly

Awesome resource, Winfried, along with the other things you've published for the FM community. Thank you!

Beverly

• 11. Re: DDR Error
                              mclasen@mclasen.com

After cleaning up old layouts and doing a recover on a copy of the database I was able to run a DDR, probably bad caracters in a ntext field on a layout is my guesstimate.