8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2017 2:22 PM by tomswell

Scroll to Acive Record in List View

rmittelman

I am using the Contacts starter solution for my project. When viewing the Contacts tab, clicking on a contact record takes you to the Contact Detail tab and displays the contact as expected. When clicking back on the Contacts tab the list view is scrolled to the top, even though the contact just viewed is still active. This can be verified by scrolling the list manually and noticing that the contact is still highlighted in the list.

When returning to the list view tab, it would be preferable to see the active contact still in the visible portion of the list. Can anybody help with a script step or a setting which would cause the active record to be visible when activating the list view tab?

Choosing Records > Go to Record > Next, then repeating with Previous causes the record to become visible in the list view, but I hesitate to script this because it may cause an error if you are already on the last record, right?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
          mikebeargie

You can use Get(RecordNumber) to get the active record number.

Then you just need to specify "by calculation" under the go to record script step to go to that record number.

http://www.filemaker.com/13help/en/html/func_ref2.32.67.html#1030706

Also I believe if you use a "Go To Object" or "Go To Field" script step, it will go to the highlighted active row for those actions as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
            rmittelman

Thanks for the try Mike, but no cigar.  I tried both methods, and nothing happens.  The reason being, the desired record is already active, it's just not visible unless I scroll down to it.  As mentioned previously, the list always appears scrolled to the top, regardless of which record is active.

After reviewing the solution, I think I see the issue.  The starter solution came with a trigger which runs on layout enter.  This causes a sort to be done, which I think is causing the list to scroll to the top.  Because this trigger is already there, I can remove the trigger I created and use this one.

Still, I need to actually get the list to scroll so the active record is visible.  If there is no "scroll to active record" script step or similar, I think the only way is to go to next then go to previous, both of which forces the new active record to be visible.  I'm guessing that when I get the active record number, I should also get the last record number somehow, then if current record = last record go to previous then next. Otherwise go to next then previous.

This seems like unnecessary work, especially if opening the layout for the first time.  I can't see any way around it, though, if there is no "scroll to active record" or "ensure active record is visible" step.

I don't suppose there are "first visible record" and/or "number of visible records" properties available?

Thanks...

• 3. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
              mikebeargie

Your last record number is the same as Get(FoundCount).

As I also noted, using "Go To Field" to go to the first field in your body object should also take you to the active row.

You could also add these actions to the layout trigger that is run so it happens automatically when you return to the layout.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
                rmittelman

Well, this is a perfect example of "stupid programmer error".

I just noticed that the list layout enter triggers a sorting script, and the last item is Scroll Window [Home].

Instead I should put Scroll Window [To Selection].

Unless, of course, I have just filtered the list, in which case it's proper to select the first item in the list.

So I changed my scripts as follows:

When selecting an item in the list, I first set $$ActiveRecNo to the record number I clicked on.

When filtering my list, I first set $$ActiveRecNo to 0.

When activating my list layout, instead of Scroll Window [Home], I put a test of $$ActiveRecNo > 0, and then either select first record or scroll to selection.

Thanks for your contributions Mike.

• 5. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
                  deninger

This brings up one of the trickier issues with Script Triggers. They can mess with your script, creating unexpected results that are difficult to quickly track down.

The way I avoid this is basd on blog post from Digital Fusion (http://www.teamdf.com/weetbicks/a-local-way-to-suppress-script-triggers/143/)

The essence of this method is to pass a paramter to the script trigger upon calling it. In my case, I pass "Get (ScriptName)" as a paramter to the trigger script.

Setup.jpg

Whe the script is called from a trigger action (enter layout for example), NOTHING is passed to the script as a parameter because Get (ScriptName) is not defined when a trigger calls the script. You can capture this in the trigger script and do what needs to be done at that point. (see below for a simple example)

When you call  something like Change Layout (layout name) from a script, however, Get (ScriptParameter) does have a value and  therefore the calling script's name shows up. Now you can capture this SOMETHING and therefore do NOTHING (if that is what you need done).

Script Trigger.jpg

• 6. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
                    rmittelman

Thanks @deninger, that is quite helpful to distinguish how the script was called from.  I will remember this and use it in the future.  In my case I needed to use a $$ variable because my sorting script is called from a trigger AND from other scripts, and I don't need to distinguish the source.  Just needed to know whether or not to scroll the window to the top or to the active record.

As a newbie, I really appreciate the technique.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
                      deninger

I tend to stay from global variables because tracking down which script changed the value unexpectedly (or failed to clear a value etc) can be a huge pain. Instead of using a global variable, consider using an optional script parameter to pass to the script to flag the scroll feature.

eg. Perform Script ("My Script" ) is default behavior (say leaving the list on record 1 sorted list)

and    Perform Script ("My Script" ; Parameter: "scroll") enables auto scrolling to the previous record

If your script already requireds a parameter, you could add a second optional parameter. I tend to add error checking in the script by looking for the ValueCount(Get(ScriptParameter) <= 2) and handling the case where only the main parameter is passed vs. when both are passed.

Perform Script ("My Script" ; Parameter: "parameter 1" & ¶ & "parameter 2") // second parameter is optional and defines scrolling behavior

Tracking down the script parameter passed to a script is trivial compared to the global variable method IMHO

Regards,

Mike

• 8. Re: Scroll to Acive Record in List View
                        tomswell

so simple

Get(recordnumber) passed with script

scroll to get(script parameter )