11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 1:23 AM by beverly

Large scale WebDirect deployment

coherentkris

Anybody deployed FM via Webdirect to 1000+ users across several geographically disparite areas?

I'd love to hear your experiences both the good, the bad and the ugly

TIA

Kris

• 1. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
          LSNOVER

Kris:

The maximum number of users recommended on a server with WebDirect is 50.  I don't think 1000 plus users is really in line with the target market.

Regards,

lee

• 2. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
            coherentkris

I understand that 50 is the tested and theoretical limits of WD.. but what about real world use with over 50 concurrent connections?

• 3. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
              Malcolm

Assuming that only a quarter of your thousand are connected at any time you will have to provision five servers to meet your needs. Ready to go there?

malcolm

• 4. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                coherentkris

Then why on gods green earth would they sell and promote single server instance and unlimited connections?

• 5. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                  mikeinhawaii

The new Mac Pro isnt at the Apple store yet, but I bet it would handle it.   Specially if you jazzed it up all the way to the top.  

• 6. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                    steveromig

coherentkris wrote:

Then why on gods green earth would they sell and promote single server instance and unlimited connections?

Remember that the unlimted connections refers to FileMaker Go connections too - not just FileMaker WebDirect connections.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                      flybynight

Because "concurrent connections" can also include FileMaker Go connections… which don't have the overhead requirements of WebDirect. It's a bit of a confusing model, but this is how I see it:

If you didn't pay for the client software (ie, you are using a web browser or the free FM Go for iOS), then you have to pay for each concurrent connection to FM Server. There are many places that already have large-scale installations using many FM Go clients, built in FM 12. These are the people who are going to be hurt by the new pricing structure, as this model is now drastically more expensive than it used to be in 12.

But WebDirect is entirely new. It can do stuff that just plain wasn't possible before in a web browser…  But that takes a lot of horsepower. That's why 50 WD connections is the tested/theoretical limit.

Connections from FM Go (or even FM Pro, which don't "count" as concurrent connections) are much lighter, performance-wise for the server.

If you have a model with 10 WD clients and 100 FM Go clients connecting, you will need the unlimited (>50) connection license, but your performance should be fine.

However, if your model uses 100 WD clients and 10 FM Go clients, you would still need the unlimited (>50) connection license, but your server would probably melt.  

WD just isn't built to handle that volume. For something like that, you'll need to go the CWP route.

Given the expense of the unlimited connection license, and the shroud of uncertainty about the performance of >50 WD clients, I would doubt many are willing to spend what it would take to test this model. But if anyone has tried it, I'm sure we would all love to hear what you found!

HTH,

-Shawn

• 8. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                        coherentkris

Wish FM INC would help demistify uncertainty about the performance of >50 WD clients. I know the WD technology is in its infancy but i was hoping that some of the heavy hitters in the FM world are going down that road.

• 9. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                          LSNOVER

50 users for WebDirect is probably conservative if you have a really well equipped server and a light application. 

I don't believe you would get satisfactory performance with any significant app. beyond 100 or so users.  WebDirect uses significant resources, and even using full Filemaker Pro, FM Server doesn't deal well with large number of users particularly well in my experience.  It just is not designed to run with those kinds of loads.  Maybe down the pike if FMI lets us split things up across more than two servers and has some kind of load balancing capability, but I just don't see it at present.  But heck, give it a go and let us know. ;-)

• 10. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                            LSNOVER

The "heavy hitters" are trusting that FMIs recommendations are generally in line with real world usability.  Based on my own application, which is admitadly NOT very light, a 12 Core server with 96GB of RAM and 15K RPM RAID 5 Drive array is about maxed out with 25 or so WebDirect users.  Your mileage may very, but I would treat the 50 user limit like the EPAs HIGHWAY mileage for now.  I.e. if you think your going to get much more than that, your some kind of hyper miling nut.  It's not impossible, but you are going to be running in some very austere fashion.

• 11. Re: Large scale WebDirect deployment
                              beverly

To clarify...

Was possible - some of the technology is relatively new, but so are the browsers that can handle it . Was a whole lot of work by developer(s) who know HOW or the FMI team couldn't have done that work for you. It's just push-the-button now and your FM work appears in a browser much more than you could get with IWP.

It does take a lot if horses, too.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--