10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 6:20 AM by paulwatts

Showing more than one record in layout view

paulwatts

I'm using Pro 13 and I'd like to show more than one record in layout view.

I have a table (e.g. below) with a date field and a job field (this just counts the jobs in any day - note that every day starts at Job 1).

DateJobStaffToolLocationMaterials
      1 Jan

JoeSpannerHereNuts
      1 Jan2SidWrenchThereBolts

1 Jan

3FredDrillSomewhere elseNails
      2 Jan1SidWrenchNowhereBolts

I want to produce a layout (not a list) that shows all jobs for a date (e.g. jobs 1, 2 and 3 in the above table) simultaneously but I'd like to see each table record summarised in different areas of the layout (see e.g. below for 1 Jan). Note that each day could have up to 10 simultaneous jobs so there would be 10 areas defined in the layout, some populated and some not.

Job 1Job 2Job 3Job 4Up to Job 10
      JoeSidFred
      SpannerWrenchDrill
      HereThereSomewhere else
      NutsBoltsNails

Then I want to be able to view all days in list view using this layout.

Should I be using portals for each job? Can I show different records in each portal?

Is this all too much to expect??

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

• 1. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
          Mike_Mitchell

Paul -

Off the top of my head, there are at least a few ways to do this:

1) You could line up 10 portals, each one starting at a different row. Just put them side-by-side.

2) You could create the same effect using a Virtual List technique and a series of unstored calculation fields.

3) You could use a Web Viewer and some HTML code.

Depends on whether or not you need to edit the records and exactly what you're trying to achieve.

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
            paulwatts

Hi Mike.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been  away.

Thanks for your ideas. I'm confined to Pro 12 and not 13 as I stated. My client only has Windows XP so I have had to resort to Pro 12. However, I have moved on a little bit since posing the question.

Picking up erolst's point, I don't need variable cell width so that wont be a problem.

I have it in mind to use 10 portals, as you have suggested. Bearing in mind that I have up to 10 jobs per day and a never ending series of days (hopefully), how do I get the appropriate job to show up in the appropriate portal?

Will I be able to update data using the resulting layout?

By the way, I don't know what a Virtual List is and I'm not into HTML coding.

Thanks again.

Paul

• 3. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
              Mike_Mitchell

I guess that depends on what the "appropriate" jobs are.  

Typically, if you're going to use a series of portals, you would sort the appropriate portals (or the relationship) according to how you wanted the records to appear. You might need to add a field to the child table to accomplish that, but you should be able to determine how (in what order) the jobs should appear and create a field that causes them to be sorted in that order.

• 4. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                paulwatts

Thanks Mike.

I propose to use a day/date table as the parent and a table like that shown in the example as the child. The child table includes a day/date field to identify the day/date and a job number field which identifies the appropriate portal. My problem is how to configure Filemaker to do this.

Paul

• 5. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                  Mike_Mitchell

Sorry; didn't look back at the original post. (That's what I get for answering over email.) You'll need to set up a series of relationships from the parent to the child. Each relationships should use a constant key in the parent equal to the job number, pointing to the equivalent job number in the child. That way, each portal shows you just the items associated with that job. Example:

Parent        Child

Job 1 ---->  Job

Job 2 ---->  Job

Job 3 ---->  Job

and so forth. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

• 6. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                    DavidJondreau

It's probably better to use portal filtering with one relationship than 10 relationships.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                      Mike_Mitchell

Good point. Missed that; thanks.

• 8. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                        paulwatts

Hi Dave and Mike

Ok, thanks for this.

My understanding so far is:-

1. I should set up a table "Date" as a parent table and including all dates (one for each record) from now until .........

2. I should relegate the table of jobs (as shown in my original post) to that of child.

3. I should set up a layout to include the field "Date" followed by 10 portals in a horizontal line.

4. I should use portal filtering within each portal to limit the records shown in that portal to the appropriate Job No. for that date (remembering that up to 10 jobs can be allocated to each date).

5. I should then select List View to see all jobs for all dates (subject to scrolling). This will allow me to view opportunities to schedule new jobs in the future.

Thank you again

Paul

• 9. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                          Mike_Mitchell

You can access data from a grandchild table. Be aware that all such data is seen from the context of the parent as filtered through the child.

Example:

Date -->  Job  -->  Material

would show material information for the specific date for the specific job.

• 10. Re: Showing more than one record in layout view
                            paulwatts

Hi Mike.

Thanks very much.

I have been able to make the portals to work, with filtering, though I have had to make the relationship between the Jobs table and the Date table many-to-many to do so (not sure why but it works).

I will have a look at structuring my data in the way you suggest. It may make better sense overall than to carry all the data in the child table.

Thanks again.

Paul