1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 5:07 PM by Stephen Huston

FileMaker Launcher Files

DougRawson

Has the * wildcard function been removed from FM13?

Since 2003 we have been providing a Launcher file with our solution (vertical market locked solution) that each user places on their computer desktop. When opened, this launcher file runs a script that fires a remote startup script in the hosted solution file. Under Manage External Data Sources we have used the following:

fmnet:/*/Praesto

Now with the move to FM13 Platform this is not working. We get and error that the file can not be found. We have been forced to put the IP address of the server in the path.

However, from the workstation when we go to Open Remote and Local Hosts we see the server and remote files just fine. Bonjour is doing its thing and there are no firewall issues.

Has the * wildcard function been removed from FM13?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Launcher Files
          Stephen Huston

Wildcard paths were introduced with the FP7 file format to handle converted external data references. I believe this was allowed to preserve references in converted files so that the entire local network would be checked. In my experience, such converted references with wildcards could be extremely slow to resolve. In large multi-file systems, I found myself converting those manually to fixed IP address to improve performance significantly.

Also, launcher files and served files are on different network locations, which means that resolving a relative path will be slow, and isn't optimal as the primary file reference.

The Knowledgebase entry on this (KB ID 771: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/771) notes that wildcard entries from conversion are the LAST of multiple file references to a file, allowing any full IP address to be used for a fast connection unless the direct IP path  fails.