AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto-Numbering based on field values

Question asked by mcrip on Feb 28, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 by mcrip

I'm having a lot of trouble with the search terms on this issue. I'm sure the solution already exists but most of my searches result in discussions about serial numbers. If anyone can point me to an existing discussion I'd appreciate it. But suggesting solutions in this discussion also works

I want to setup a field that automatically keeps track of the sequence of records based on a type field (displayed in a list view). If the record is of type X, Y, or Z it should increment the count by one from the last record of X, Y, or Z. However if it is of type A or B then it should display some text. The sorting of records is based on a couple of different fields. If I change the type from A to X then everything the numbering of the rest of the records should automatically shift.

The data setup is a pretty simple one to many relationship of Events>Days>Sections>RI (Route Instructions). I was able to setup some calculations in the RI table that satisfied my requirements by keeping track of the last used number and adding one to that. This worked fine when looking at all RI's in a section, which is anywhere from 5 to 80 records. However when I look at all the RI Records for a specific Day (which is several hundred records) the calculation fails about 140 records in (displays a ?). I presume because this is a couple of calc fields that reference the previous record it is essentially a recursive function that eventually fails after too many calls.

Outcomes