1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 6:42 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Looking for Business Project or Edu Text Book for Retail or WHSL POS project

tguise

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can offer some insight into this issue! I do appreciate it greatly.

My daughter is the Ex Dir of a Food Bank Clearing House who accepts food products from farmers and produce houses and then gives them to Food Banks. The food passes through their Cold-Storage Food Refrig for a limited period of time. She asked me if I would be interested in automating her 60+ Excel S/S operation into a DBMS. Sure! (Hard to say no to your children, especially when one is recently retired.)

So, it seems I face 2 problems. First, I am a newbie to FM. (I have programmed BAL, vb6, C++, DB2, Oracle, but that was 20-22+years ago.) But, I can learn...(I hope and pray...:)

Second problem, while I am sure they are pleased with their existing business process, how do I know that it is the "right, or proper" process for such a business? While they may be sure, I am not necessarily sure! With that being said;

Does their exist a Book of Business Projects, or a Text Book of Business Projects that one could use [and study (as needed)] so as to put together a business process that would meet (or confirm) the steps that the customer is using or would be acceptable to Accounting firms that support such businesses? A book of accounting projects that could be used as the foundation for conversion into a FM Solution?

I have looked on the web, but all I find are already made programmatic solutions, of which I don't need. And, I don't feel like signing up to audit 2 semesters of our local Comm College to take accounting....again...

Again, any ideas would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,

Tom G

• 1. Re: Looking for Business Project or Edu Text Book for Retail or WHSL POS project
          Mike_Mitchell

Tom -

I think you might start off by asking a question:

Who has a better idea of how the workflow should best be structured, the people who are doing it now, or someone who wrote a textbook who's never seen it before?

Things that make you go "Hmm..."    

Not to say that there's no such thing as "best practices" for an industry, of course, but in a case like this, it's not pure accounting. It's food collection and distribution, so it combines elements of accounting with inventory control and shelf life. That's not a strictly accounting situation.

What I would suggest is you poll other businesses (and charities) who are doing this kind of work and ask if they'll let you sit down with them and go over how their workflow works. How do they do it?What pitfalls have they encountered, and how did they overcome them? Can they recommend a source of best practices?

And even though you don't want a COTS product, it might be worth going through their sales materials (brochures, samples etc.) to see how they've implemented the workflows. Much of the time, those COTS products have already done some of this workflow research and figured out what works.

HTH

Mike