1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 8:21 AM by taylorsharpe

BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4

taylorsharpe

I'm looking at purchasing either of these. Both are $499, so same price. BaseElements is a FileMaker solution and InspectorPro is an app. Both seem to do about the same thing at a very rough first glance. I did load both of their trials up on my computer and InspectorPro refused to recognize the fields in the XML, but I sent them an email to see if they know what is going on. So if nothing other thing this error for evaluation, I'm probably leaning on BaseElements since it is working. But before plopping down my money, I thought I'd check here on other opinions. I searched Technet and found a discussion on this back in 2011, but figured I would re-ask the question looking at comparing version 4 of the two products. Thanks for any input or advice.

TAYLOR

• 1. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
          jrenfrew

Isn't InspectorPro actually a runtime, which technically makes it a FileMaker solution.

Me, no probs at all with Inspector, but that's hardly scientific is it?

• 2. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
            taylorsharpe

Well, both of them are really just taking the DDR data and helping make it easier to use.  They are not adding additional functionality to FileMaker, just organizing it in a better fashion to help find problems.  And ultimately it is the developer who has to read the data and decide to do things.  For many years I have just searched through the HTML DDR for errors, etc., and that has worked.  But just looking for an easier way to do find things. 

• 3. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
              jerrysalem

FWIW I use InspectorPro.

I think it is a wonderful product, and the Inspector team is very responsive.

Jerry

• 4. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                wimdecorte

taylorsharpe wrote:

For many years I have just searched through the HTML DDR for errors, etc., and that has worked.  But just looking for an easier way to do find things.

I use BaseElements every day all day.  It adds a lot of value that you do not get from the HTML DDR, BaseElements for instance lets you create  your own scripts.  I have a bunch of them for instance where I can load a solution and immediately get reports on what potential performance pain-points are.  Not something you can do with the HTML DDR...

• 5. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                  databuzz

I'm a big fan of BaseElements - it's an integral part of my FileMaker development toolkit, along with the Developer Assistant plug-in.

Andrew

• 6. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                    taylorsharpe

I'm working through my issue of not loading the DDR with Jay at Beezwax.  They are prompt and friendly in their support.  Hopefully I'll get things figured out soon.  Thanks for your input.

TAYLOR

• 8. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                      Mike_Mitchell

I use BaseElements on a daily basis. It's invaluable for hunting up all instances of a given object to determine where it's used. And it's way easier to navigate than the DDR. The comparison reports are great, too; it's wonderful to be able to get a difference report on two versions of a solution to see what's changed.

Can't comment on Inspector Pro; haven't used it.

• 9. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                        GordonShewach

From what I've read, I bet Inspector is probably great. But I did choose BE years ago when MetaDataMagic didn't update for .fp7. I found the structure more intuitive. Love BE. Can't imagine doing what we do without a copy of one of these products.

Gordon

• 10. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                          mikebeargie

I've used both. Both work great and provide valuable data on my solutions. Inspector is slightly "prettier" in reporting than BE, but that would only matter if you're sending reports to your clients.

I see Winfried posted a blank comment, I would highly consider his opinion as well (if he fixes his comment), as FMDiff is another great product.

Also, I think you can get discounts on either product either with an FMPug subscription, or at devcon if they're present.

• 11. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                            taylorsharpe

Thanks for the input, Mike.  I also look forward to hearing from Winfried because I respect his opinion a lot too. 

I checked on the FMPUG site and was surprised that neither Beeswax nor Goya offer discounts on the user groups site.  I did notice that Winfried's FMDIFF has a 10% discount ( year Winfried!), but none for InspectorPro or BaseELements unfortunately. 

FYI, the fmpug.org domain didn't renew on time and failed to work for a couple of weeks this past month.  I was afraid it was going down or something, but their fmpug.com domain name kept working and Andy has it all back working properly now, which is good. 

Thanks Mike and I'm looking forward to seeing you in San Antonio!

• 12. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                              mikebeargie

Thanks, looking forward to my first trip to Texas as well!

• 13. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                                BobGossom

Taylor,

If you are looking at developer utilities, you should also check out Developer Assistant from 2empowerFM.com.

Different from the others, it runs within the FMP environment and searches for text strings in any FMP programming window. For example, you can search for any text string in any script or field definition, or any field name in an import map. For example if you want to know every "Close Window" script step in your solution, you can search for that string and it will sequencially search for and open each script, stopping at that step.

While you are defining calcs, it lets you evaluate the result of any selected text, from the whole calc to any portion (field or statement). I rarely use the data viewer anymore.

It's not the choice for reports or documentation, but it is terrific for day-to-day programming. Its immediacy can seamlessly integrate with the programming mindset. Chris Dragon is the developer.

Bob Gossom

• 14. Re: BaseElements 4 vs InspectorPro 4
                                  taylorsharpe

Thanks, Bob.  I swear by Dracon's Developer Assistant.  I have no idea how people develop without it.  Glad to see you like it too. 

1 2 Previous Next