2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 1:20 PM by hschlossberg

Layout changes don't get saved over LAN/WAN

hschlossberg

Has this happened to anyone else?

A month ago (with FMPA 13, connected via WAN to FMS 13), I went to an existing layout, deleted everything from it and pasted into it everything from another layout. Then I started making some tweaks -- disabling buttons, disabling field entry, adding some text, removing some other things, etc). Every now and then I put it into browse mode to see how it looked, make sure there's nothing left that is clickable or enterable. I recall doing this at least twice, plus the final look, etc. The next day, I'd gone back to that layout and found it was the original layout content. None of my changes were there. I flipped through all 133 layouts to make sure I didn't accidentally do my work on a different layout (nope). I checked the previous night's backup to see if my changes made it that far (nope). I had no other local copies of the db and checked my recently opened files just to be sure (nope).

And then last week, with a different solution on a different server on a different WAN (FMPA 13, connected via WAN to FMS 12). In this case, there were multiple changes on multiple layouts last week, and every single one of them were gone as a couple mornings later. But in this case, I have proof that I'm not totally crazy because the fields and scripts I'd added at the same time as my layout changes ARE still in the database. Only the layout changes are gone.

I haven't been able to replicate it intentionally, and I'm almost positive there were no force-quits when the problems occurred. Surely other people have seen (or imagined they may have seen) this happen, as well?

• 1. Re: Layout changes don't get saved over LAN/WAN
          BarbLevine

Thanks Howard for letting us know.  I had it happen yesterday — lost some layout changes while working in 13.

I was working on my office LAN, hosting by FMS 12, clients FMPA 13 and FM Go 12. I created a quick-and-dirty table in a child file to do some data hygiene, since dirty data happens, esp. in a client-developed database that's been in use since 1996. I built the table, amused to discover that the FMPA 13 layout wizard puts you in Modify Table View to create the table. Cleaned up some data, went on to something else. Later returned to the table - what the heck, it has no fields!  Where did they go?! Hurried on, rebuilt it, scratching my head, but marching on with the To Do list.

My solution is not young - the client must have developed it in FM 2 or 3. I consolidated 3 files into a single file, and am adding a Go interface and other new functionality. How old are the solutions where you've had this problem? I'm looking for commonalities.

Barb

--

Barbara Levine | MicroServ LLC | microservllc.com | 203/776-6800 | FileMaker 12 Certified Developer | FileMaker Business Alliance Platinum Member

• 2. Re: Layout changes don't get saved over LAN/WAN
            hschlossberg

Yup, I'd thought about file age after your post.  The one last month was older (I think FM 8.5), but the one with the problem last week was built entirely in 13.