6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 11:24 AM by disabled_JohnWolff

Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.

vavo

Hello all,

I have a few questions around e-mail and FMP 13

1. Plugins: 360 Mail vs. MailIt

I am curious about any comments here. I already read some other threads about this but they were a bit older so maybe there is some new infomration out here now? Right now I am leaning towards MailIt since I probably have to run server scripts and that makes 360 Mail PlugIn more expensive.

2.Bulk Mailing

I know technically it is possible to send tons of emails from FMP, especially with one of the PlugIns above.

BUT: Mailchimp, Constant Contact and others perfect the craft of bypassing all sorts of spam filters and actually delivering the message to the inbox - which seems like a good idea.

This is why I am considering using the Mailchimp API (as described here) to get the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts, experience, questions welcome!

Thanks!

Valentin

• 1. Re: Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.
          Malcolm

1. Plugins: 360 Mail vs. MailIt

both products are excellent.

2.Bulk Mailing

MailChimp, Constant Contact … snip … actually delivering the message to the inbox - which seems like a good idea.

Don’t swallow the hook whole. In terms of mail delivery these services just send mail. Bypassing spam filters, etc, is marketing bullshit. You can do exactly the same thing with Filemaker and one of the plug-ins above.

The real value of these services is in what they do after the mail has been sent. They offer analysis tools for managing your mail campaigns. The dashboards are really what you are buying from them and I think they are worth the money.

Malcolm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.
            datastride

I highly recommend POP3it Pro and SMTPit Pro for building email functionality into FileMaker solutions. Have used them for a decade with excellent results. And the CNS folks offer excellent support.

I’ve tried others (that shall go unnamed), but came back to the CNS plug-ins for their reliability and very complete functionality.

www.cnsplug-ins.com

#end

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10, 11 & 12

Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

One Part Harmony <http://www.onepartharmony.com/>  

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.
              vavo

Good point, I think the analysis part of those services will be very relevant! Thanks for poiting that out!

• 4. Re: Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.
                vavo

Thanks for mentioning out CNS!

What I have not mentioned in my original post is the fact that I am planning to use IMAP to monitor the users e-mail account and attach emails (sent and received) to the corresponding contact in the CRM. So I think it will be MailIT for me

• 5. Re: Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.
                  vavo

Even though I searche before I just a very helpful thread in the "More like this" box. So for anybody who is looking into this question check out this thread too: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/63743#63743

• 6. Re: Everything e-mail: plugins, bulk mailings etc.

Vavo wrote:

BUT: Mailchimp, Constant Contact and others perfect the craft of bypassing all sorts of spam filters and actually delivering the message to the inbox - which seems like a good idea.

This is why I am considering using the Mailchimp API (as described here) to get the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts, experience, questions welcome!

Hi Vavo,

What the good ESP's, like MailChimp, offer is a reputable IP address of their sending server. To maintain that reputation, they will not even offer to host your account if your list has been derived from a questionable source, or has email addresses which match their 'honey pot' of known dud email addresses.

The link you cite is one way of loading your list. You'll still have to satisfy MailChimp's criteria before they will host it for you.

www.senderscore.org is a web site created by ReturnPath to monitor the reliability of sending servers. Any good ESP will make sure that the sender scores of their email servers remain in the high 90's as that's the only way they can stay in business.

There is ongoing debate as to whether you are better off with a big list with addresses that generate low opening rates or a smaller list with folk who open regularly. We've opted for the latter choice and now regularly get opening rates of 60% for our weekly emailed newsletter. MailChimp has Blog articles which discuss these choices.

I hope this helps,

John