0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 11:59 PM by Heine

How to create an auto filter result list based on the content of an input field

Heine

Hi guys!

It's all over the place, all these auto complete/dynamic filtering thingies which will attempt to complete whatever query you're putting in to a given field on a webpage. I love them, but I don't know how to make them work the way I want them to.

I can make them retreieve data from one field using this http://jqueryui.com/autocomplete/ example, but basically it is just a lookup in a static list included in the file being loaded AND it's only the text bit, not containing ID's. While that's all good and well for a standard 'search' feature, it is just not good enough for a form which either creates OR edits a given record via PHP (FMStudio PRO).

Let's say that I have a table that holds all of my info on project registration. Each assignment has a person responsible, amongst other things. This particular PR is stored in a separate table to avoid misspellings etc. Each PR therefore has his/her own unique ID. In the assignment table I have a "PR" field wich ONLY contains the unique ID for that person, and I then have a relationship to the PR table, in order to retreive the name (human readable) ;-)

What I would love to do is to be able to create a new/edit assignment from a php page, and to be able to start typing in letters in the 'PR' field and then have the php/jQuery (AJAX) return the filtered list of people matching my input, WITH the ID (SHOWN or HIDDEN) for that particular person...

Donøt know if it is possible at all, but I sure would like your input on this!

Thanks

/Heine