10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 11:31 AM by user18988

FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect

user18988

I have several files being served by FileMaker Server 13. FileMaker Server 13 is running on a Mac Mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 GB of RAM and plenty HD using Mac OS 10.9.2. Until a few days ago, before i turned on and shared a file in WebDirect, my files and schedules worked fine. One of those schedules is used very early in the morning to force the records to recalculate using the "Today's date" so the records are ready to be found by the reports we generate, without causing much delays. Since i turned on Webdirect, that schedule is not working. When i open the databases they start recalculating.

But during the past two days the databases doesn't even open. I check the server and is NOT SHARING anything. I try to open the FMS 13 Admin Console and it doesn't find the server. I need to restart the computer and wait a few minutes to be able to open the console. The logs ("And i hate to have to check mark everything, everytime I want to see the same logs") doesn't show anything wrong. But it doesn't show that the services started either until the restart.

This server does shut down by the energy saver schedules at 11 PM and starts at around 4 AM. I know the auto start for FileMaker server is working because when i manually restart the computer it starts ok. But not after the cold start in the morning. I know that during the past days there was a major update of the system and i haven't checked for bad disk Permissions. But it is really bothering me to the point of thinking of turning Webdirect off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

Miguel

• 1. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
          RonSmithMD

Just wondering why you shut your server off in the first place? I personally would never do a restart or even a scheduled shutdown if FileMaker Server was running. All my Mac Minis run all the time. This may be superstitious on my part, but I know that if that database is closed then I'm not going to clobber it when I do other things to the host, especially any system updates or upgrades.

Did you perhaps do a upgrade to OS X without first shutting down FileMaker?

Are you running OS X Server on that host? That app would need to be updated too I think.

I would suggest you have hammered the installation and should probably remove and reinstall FileMaker Server after you make sure the OS X Server is running OK, if you are using it.

Warmest regards,

Ron

• 2. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
            user18988

Hello Ron:

Thanks for answering. Regarding some of your comments:

"Just wondering why you shut your server off in the first place?"

Well before FileMaker Server, i had Server 12 on that same computer and i totally agree with you regarding:

"I personally would never do a restart or even a scheduled shutdown if FileMaker Server was running." and "This may be superstitious on my part, but I know that if that database is closed then I'm not going to clobber it when I do other things to the host, especially any system updates or upgrades."

I always close all and stop the server before any upgrades or updates. But Server 12 and 13 are supposed to be designed to recognize and stop the services on shut down and it never gave me problems until a few days ago.

If the Server is not needed during the times I indicated. Why have them exposed specially to the internet. i know that security is there for this. But why risk it.

"All my Mac Minis run all the time."

Well my FileMaker Server 5.5 still does run all the time cause there is no way of doing a controlled and graceful shutdown other than manually. I do controll the recalculation of the today function by closing and opening the needed files by batch script and then opening them with an external computer by Applescript. But i do believe, that if i don't need a computer at certain times, why should i leave it on if i can control it's shut down and restart, and as i mentioned it was working until a few days back.

"Did you perhaps do a upgrade to OS X without first shutting down FileMaker?"

I did reformated and installed the Mac OS X Mavericks (Not the Server version) needed for Server 13 in that Mac Mini because i hated the java console in Server 12. But I did a clean installation of FIleMakerServer 13 after the installation and then restored the files. But to be honest I haven't worked much with OS 10.9 and even after turning off the auto updating I honestly can say that it didn't installed a "App Update"

"Are you running OS X Server on that host? That app would need to be updated too I think."

No. Mac OS X.9.2. Not Server as explained in the installation instructions.

I would suggest you have hammered the installation and should probably remove and reinstall FileMaker Server after you make sure the OS X Server is running OK, if you are using it.

If The System keeps behaving bad, I don't see anything else to do but to reinstall. But I think I will wait for a few more suggestions to make sure.

Any way, i really appreciate the time you took to answer my post and really welcome you're valuable suggestions. Most of them I agree and others are just ideas I don't subscribe too.

Thanks

• 3. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
              Mike_Mitchell

Ron is right. Never, under any circumstances, allow the hard drive to go to sleep while Server is running. It's almost a guarantee you'll corrupt something at some point. And never do any kind of upgrade (OS or otherwise) without first stopping the databases and the Server processes.

So I doubt the problem is WebDirect. You'll probably want to shut down Server, do a compact (or clone and data import) on all the databases, then reinstall Server to remove whatever corruption has been introduced.

And did I mention never to allow your hard drive to go to sleep while Server is running, ever again?  

Mike

• 4. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
                mikebeargie

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-13-specifications.html

Note that your processor is the minimum, a 4 core processor is recommended. Webdirect is resource intensive, it's not something I'd casually turn on and expect to not have any repercussions.

I also echo Ron's thoughts, it's absolutely best practice to never sleep or shut off your server. Also you should have all auto-updates turned off.

I can't say, because your "several files" reference is pretty vague, but I'm thinking your mac mini is a few years old and having issues keeping up with WD. I would disable webdirect for the time being until you can plan for it.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
                  user18988

In light of two very appreciated replys (From two guys with a very respected name "Mike")...I proceeded to turn of Webdirect and two turn of the energy saver schedules to see how the computer behaves in the next few days.

But then, i will really appreciate some technicall information on how FileMaker Server 13 behaves when someone "Accidentally" tells the computer to shut down with dtabases opened and Server running. I really want to clarify if what i understood is wrong.

Thanks Mike's....

• 6. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
                    mikebeargie

Credit Ron as well, I was just echoing his warning of shutdown/sleep/restart.

I'm not terribly familiar with the shut down process on Mac servers, but on windows, it will generally try to shut down all services before shutting down. There is a general notion though that some services will hang or fail to close down properly, and of course if it's a malicious shutdown (IE power outage or someone holding down the power key to force a shutdown), it's worse.

There's always a chance of file or data corruption if the shutdown is not planned (IE disconnecting clients, closing databases, turning off the database server, then shutting down). This is why it's important to have a rigorous backup schedule with off-site or external redundancy, in case you have a malicious shutdown that results in corruption of your data or files, you can restore and continue appropriately.

I don't think there's much documentation on this, but there's plenty of documentation on creating/managing backups if you search around for it.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
                      Mike_Mitchell

There’s not much documentation I’m aware of. However, FileMaker does throw an interesting error when the server is manually put to sleep:

“The server was put to sleep. All clients were disconnected”. Or something to that effect. So the folks at FileMaker are well aware of the possibility and have programmed it into the product.

In theory, it should be an orderly shutdown, but if the Server process is in the middle of doing something (like, say, running a server-side script) and doesn’t respond to the OS’s demand to stop before it times out, it can be forced to quit. That’s bad. I’ve seen lots of databases corrupted because of server admins forcing Server to quit from the OS. That’s outside of FileMaker’s control, really, so you have to take care of it.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
                        PointInSpace

On OS X, FileMaker Server will try to close all the databases before the system shuts down.  However, if they take too long, the server can end up shutting down before all databases are cleanly closed.  That's why you should *always* manually close all databases via the Server Admin interface before shutting down the system.

I'm not so sure that there isn't some way FileMaker could make this work more cleanly, as with other applications I've seen instances of "application X cancelled shut down" notices on OS X.

-  John

• 10. Re: FileMaker 13 is giving me problems since I turned on Webdirect
                          user18988

Thanks all for your very much appreciatted, responces. I see my self  reinstalling the server very soon. Back to the drawing board.