11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 8:09 AM by StephenWonfor

FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12

StephenWonfor

Hi

A client has a database where we store 800+ images in open external storage.

I have learned that grabbing last db backup seems to orphan the images. They are in place but there seems to be a path failure.

Here's the GetAsText of the image...

remote:357-9064F.jpg

size:750,1000

DPI:300

JPEG:IMAGES/Dress/357-9064F.jpg

And here's the current path of the backup.

/Users/stephen/Work Databases/Bƒ/GownCenter/Hourly_2014-03-06_1620/Databases/Gown/RC_Data_FMS/GownCenter/Files/GownCenter/IMAGES/Dress/357-9064F.jpg

This leaves me with two options I can dream up:

1. Change the server hosted file to store the images internally and get a backup of that.

2. Write a script to llop through all the data records and InsertPicture

And there is likely this one:

3. // the right approach

I wonder what 3 might be...

Stephen

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." --- Salvador Dali

• 1. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12

Hi Stephen,

Might 3. be SuperContainer from 360Works?

We have close to 20K small jpg images sitting alongside our FMS 12 on the same HD and found that this arrangement worked perfectly for the migration from FMP V11 to V12. Those images are backed up separately from the DB's but can be brought back together anytime we need to.

Cheers,

John

• 2. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
            StephenWonfor

John

Everything works fine for the hosted file.  Just gets messy if I take a backup to do any work on.

So I am just trying to get my head around the procedure to create a useable backup with correctly linked images.

eg. In FMP 13 you can Save A Copy as a Self-Contained file.  But, if the images paths are not valid you get "One or more containers failed to transfer when saving a self-contained copy. See Transfer.log for details."  What is rather interesting is that the database gets briefly created, I see it on the Desktop, then I get the error message and the db disappears as though it never existed - not in the trash.

Stephen

"A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street."   -- Doug Linder

• 3. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
              wimdecorte

3. would be: restore the backup to a similar environment as the hosted file. i.e.: another server.

• 4. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                StephenWonfor

Wim

So using External Storage has its costs then.  One can't get a useful backup when images are stored outside of the db? 

Stephen

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde

• 5. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                  wimdecorte

StephenWonfor wrote:

So using External Storage has its costs then.  One can't get a useful backup when images are stored outside of the db? 

That's not accurate.  The backups are very useful and their main purpose is to be restored to the same type of envinroment to make sure the business can get up and running with

- very little time lost

- very little data lost

For that they serve their purpose without any issues.

Your use-case is different: you want to grab a copy of the backup for development/troubleshooting, using the database in a different environment than it is when hosted.  So you should expec "things" to be not the same.

Before remote containers we've been spoiled in not having to worry about that because everything was self-contained into one file.  But that is not the norm.  Not in any kind of technology so we need to adjust our expectations and the way we work with FM files.

• 6. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                    StephenWonfor

Wim

I can see the errors of my ramblings.  Clearly the backups are useful when they are returned to the same environment.  They just need some housekeeping to be useful elsewhere.  So...

2.  Write a script to loop through all the data records and InsertPicture

Stephen  ;-)

“Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.” --- Michael Sinz

• 7. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                      mark_b

Hi Stephen,

I'm not working in a server environment, so I'm not positive my suggestion will work for you.  But on a single PC, I made a copy of a database from one location to my desktop.  The link to the containers was broken at that point because the folder with the pictures was now in a different location "relative to the database".  I fixed the broken links by simply copying the folder containing the pictures to my desktop (same location as the database).  Other than this not working in a server environment, the only problem I see is if the picture folder is too big to copy.

Cheers, Mark

2014-03-07_17-07-47.png

• 8. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                        RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Stephen,

the path to the images is different between server and stand alone, on server the folder IMAGES is in a folder

where on the desktop the folder IMAGES should be next to the database.

Try moving the IMAGES folder one step higher.  that should solve things.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 9. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                          StephenWonfor

Ruben and Mark

Excellent bit of knowledge.  Thanks.  Worked well.

What I did was to create a new record and insert an image, noted the path FMP created then moved all the orphan images into that folder.  Now they are all visible.

Stephen

"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature." ~Rich Kulawiec

• 10. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                            mardikennedy

Hi Stephen, this might also be a useful reference:  https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/139088#139088

Regards, Mardi

• 11. Re: FMP 12 File Copy Strategy From Server 12
                              StephenWonfor

Mardi

Very useful indeed, thanks for that.  Sometimes, it seems, the utilty of the search tools on FMDEV are very much a function of using the right terms in the search.  I find I could often use a "why not try these words instead" feature.  A factorial thesaurus approach.

Stephen

"The best thing about a boolean is that even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit." --- (Anonymous)