2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 12:36 AM by fmdataweb

FM Go Not Closing Hosted File

fmdataweb

I have a FileMaker Go solution that runs locally on the iOS device and is working well so far. It needs to, on demand, check for some updated content.

The script in question does the following:

- connects to hosted database

- checks for the existence of a record with a matching value

- if it can't find it returns error and closes file on device; otherwise continues on

I'm using the Close File [hostedFileName] script step at the end of this process but I've noticed when viewing the FileMaker Server Admin Console that the user remains connected when the script has finished, even though I've used the Close File script step to explicitly close the file. I don't want to leave this file connected as:

1. there's no need to remain connected any longer; and

2. they might be on 3G (non wi-fi) connection and I don't want them incurring any unnecessary data charges

Anyone know how I can force the hosted file to close when I'm finished with it?

thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: FM Go Not Closing Hosted File
          rgordon

Once you open a file on the server, it can be hard to close the file if there are any file references or relationships to the file. I had a situation like this a couple of years ago.  I believe I used a second file to make the connection to the server so when I closed the second file it also closed the file on the server.  You can also sometimes avoid using a file reference by using the Open URL set.

• 2. Re: FM Go Not Closing Hosted File
            fmdataweb

Thanks I'm going to try using a 2nd file which has references to the main file and open this using Open URL - would be great if we could explicitly close a file when we know we're no longer going to require that for the session and would be happy for the file to be opened if required down the track.