3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 8:53 AM by taylorsharpe

Inserting picture into text

Hudi

This is a long shot I know...

Is there a way to get a an image (of a signature for example) into a text field?

What I'm trying to do is create a printable letter from a template and place the signature of the user (.png) into the appropriate location (<<signature>>). I started placing things like the text, signature and footers as layout objects. This approach was rejected because it does not allow for any changes before the letter is printed. So I tried scripting the gathering into a text field that they can copy and past into MS Word.

Thanks

Example of calculation:

----- A long calculation creating the text of the letter----

& ¶ & ¶ &

"Should you have any questions, please contact me using my information below.

¶¶

Sincerely," & ¶ &

"<<Signature>>"

&¶&¶&

" Hudi¶

Direct Phone: 1234555666 ¶

Email: "&TextColor (TextStyleAdd ( "test@test.com";Underline);RGB ( 0 ; 0 ; 255 ) )

• 1. Re: Inserting picture into text
          Mike Duncan

I'm not sure what you mean by "This approach was rejected because it does not allow for any changes before the letter is printed". Can't those be editable fields as well?

Apart from that, it might be possible to display what you want as html and use the encode base 64 functionality in FM 13 to display the container graphic as an image in a web veiwer. Then again, I don't know if those types of URLs are supported fully in IE since it sounds like you're on windows. But it might give you something to try.

• 2. Re: Inserting picture into text
            Hudi

Thanks Mike and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

What I meant was that since there was a mixture of both text and objects, I couldn't figure out a way to get the spacing right. Pretty sure what I'm trying to accomplish is not feasible. You cannot insert a container field into a text field (why else would we have both?).

In generel, what do you use to get the correct spacing and margins when trying to exactly replicate a form or letter. Especially a letter that needs to be later tweaked slightly by the user, ie. text layout object are out of the question.
            I realize this is might not make much sense, thanks for trying though.

Hudi

• 3. Re: Inserting picture into text
              taylorsharpe

I'm sure there are better and fancier ways to do this.  But what I do is put the signature where I want it and put the text above it as a text box that is aligned bottom so that is flows upwards from the signature and any additional wording just moves it up the page.  This is good for letters where there are minor differences making the text lengths vary only a few lines.  But that is the case of most of the letters I have done.