11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 4:37 PM by Stephen Huston

Sub summary page break

synergy46

I have a report with a double 'sub-summary' section. It looks like this:

fittineproblem.png

The problem is the blank space below the month. (Above the 2nd sub-summary)

Question: "Can I force a page break when the subsequent sub-summary and it's detail do not flow

onto the existing page?"

I am stumped. How would you do this?

Thanks

R

• 1. Re: Sub summary page break
          mikebeargie

There's checkboxes on the parts for "allow part to break across page boundaries", as well as "discard remainder of part before new page".

It's all detailed here:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/create_layout.9.17.html

you need to set your subsummary part to allow for breaking across a page.

Alternatively, you could also set "page break before each occurance" to have a clean page break before each subsummary. That would place each month on a separate page.

• 2. Re: Sub summary page break
            synergy46

Thanks for the reply.

I failed to mention  that the BODY of the report contains a collapsing portal.  I suspect this contributes to the problem.

I have tried checking / unchecking the various combinations of the "Allow part to break across page boundaries" but it does not seem to make a difference.  I still get the Month stranded at the bottom of page 1 while the second sub-summary and Body are printed on the next page....

Always a learning opportunity.

R

• 3. Re: Sub summary page break
              Stephen Huston

synergy46 wrote, in part:

I failed to mention  that the BODY of the report contains a collapsing portal.  I suspect this contributes to the problem.

Yes, indeed -- a very basic problem in this case.

One of FM's best practices for clean reporting in lists is to do reports from the table which contains the child records used in the report, rather than including portals and reporting from the Parent records. Portals make bad list reports, as you've found.

This means doing sub-sum-parts for the parent record info as well as a body part for the children, but the resulting reports are much cleaner, and your body parts will be much smaller, allowing cleaner breaks across pages.

• 4. Re: Sub summary page break
                Mike_Mitchell

Stephen's point is very valid. If the Body part is too large for a single record, including all parts, at the size displayed in Layout mode, to fit on whatever portion of page remains, FileMaker will automatically shunt the Body part to the next page. Hence, it's often a good idea to keep your Body parts compact.

• 5. Re: Sub summary page break
                  synergy46

There is a one to many relationship between Members ->> DES

and a one to many relationship between Members ->> Candidates

I changed the report so that it is based on DES  (Light blue in the body)

The first sub-summary (yellow) is Candidates::MonthNumber (calculated field)

The second sub-summary (Green) is Candidates::YrsSinceRaised (calculated field)

The 3rd sub-summary is a new one based on Members::cName_LastFirstMI  (Calculated field)

But, when I add the DES table information to the body (light blue) I get non repeating information.

Specifically, David Crockett (in August)  in fact has 2 DES records.  Only the first shows.  Therein lies

the problem.

Am I understanding your prior email correctly? 

DESLayout.png

DESReport.png

• 6. Re: Sub summary page break
                    user19752

Which candidates record do you want to use in many-side of relation Members ->> Candidates ?

Using lower height of part is better, but not enough to resolve your need.

Adding number field to set page number and use it to page break before sub-summary.

• 7. Re: Sub summary page break
                      Stephen Huston

You can also remove the Body part if you don't need to include the children's field info, just the sub-sums. Reports still run cleaner from the actual child table, even when only sub-summary info is being displayed.

• 8. Re: Sub summary page break
                        synergy46

The light blue  body section shows the portal from the DES table.  I have removed the portal and put just the DES fields in the body.  The results show only the first DES:: field result.

I am mystified why FM promotes portals as a way to 'display data from related tables' but makes it so difficult to do so in an attractive, meaningful way.  It seems that the problem is that the 2 sub-summary fields can not be told to "Break only if the information below continues on the next page."

It looks like I can't have what I am trying to do.  Or, do I have that wrong?

• 9. Re: Sub summary page break
                          Stephen Huston

I you redefined the base table for the layout to be the child table, it will show you a body record for every record in the found set of child records.

Houwever, if you don't redefine the base TO for the layout, you are still reporting out of a parent record, which will remain problematic.

I recommend starting a new layout using the child records as the base table rather than trying to fix an existing layout built on the wrong TO.

• 10. Re: Sub summary page break
                            synergy46

Stephon,

I tried your idea but I just edited the designated setup to DES.  Worked great.  And, it makes sense.  Thank you.

Ron

• 11. Re: Sub summary page break
                              Stephen Huston

I only recommended a new layout because I've learned from enough mistakes over the years that I  want to be able to roll back to a layout I haven't destroyed from playing with it when my clever fix went pear-shaped.