2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 1:14 PM by steveromig

FMS13 Two Machine Deployment and WebDirect

jcooper

Hi All,

We're currently running FMS12 on an old MacPro Tower (2xdual-core with 9GB) and are planning to move to FMS13. One of he big reasons is Web Direct. But it seems to eat up a lot of resources (12 cores for a few dozen connections). My plan (which is in flux right now) is to migrate the server to a 2009 xServe (Quad-Core Xeron, 12GB) that HAD been our FMS11 host. I know this configuration could only handle a handful of webdirect connections (half a dozen, more or less) before tanking, but budgetary constraints prevent my running out and buying a new $10k rack server anytime soon. What I could do is somthing in the $2k range.

So, being stuck with a 4-core rack server and I was wondering if anyone knows, as far as WebDirect, where are most of the resources consumed: The master machine or the worker machine?

Basically, I'm trying to squeeze as many WebDirect users out of as cheap server juggling as I can, without slowing our database server to a crawl for the 30-40 local users who hit it each day wth FMP and FMG.

Also, anyone know if it's possible go across platforms in a deployment? A Mac master machine with a Windows worker, or visa versa? I have this XServe sitting here I don't want to waste, so I'd like it in the mix. If I need to go with a Mac Mini for the worker, so be it. But if I can get more umph for my dollar out of a Windows box, I'm happy to do it.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: FMS13 Two Machine Deployment and WebDirect
          LSNOVER

Hi Jeff:

My understanding, based on conversations with FM, is that the Web Direct machine is where the hardware demand will be.  The main Filemaker Server (Master) should not use much more in the way of resources than previous versions, assuming the second server is setup. 

FYI, if you are not adverse to Windows servers, you can pickup a pre-owned 12 Core 32GB Dell R710 for less than 3K with a warranty from the vendor.  I have used these guys http://www.eztradelive.com/   for a number of years, and they have found me decent machines when I'm under budget constraints.   No ofiliation, your mileage may vary, but it has worked well for us.   We are a Mac heavy org, but we've generally found Windows servers to be more cost effective than Macs, and since Apple is out of the server business, we don't find much of a choice these days.

Regards,

Lee

• 2. Re: FMS13 Two Machine Deployment and WebDirect
            steveromig

My understanding, based on conversations with FM, is that the Web Direct machine is where the hardware demand will be.  The main Filemaker Server (Master) should not use much more in the way of resources than previous versions, assuming the second server is setup. 

Jeff -

Lee is correct.  When it comes to FileMaker WebDirect, the second machine, or the web server machine, does most of the heavy lifting and therefore you should throw your hardware resources at the second machine.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.