5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 2:23 AM by marcodezordo

"Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database"

marcodezordo

The quote in the thread title comes from the official FileMaker page http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/whats-new.html

The complete quote states:

"FileMaker Server 13 lets you back up databases separately from container field data. Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database, and make scheduled back ups even faster. " [bold is mine]

Problem is: am I missing something, or storing container field files on separate remote drives is in fact NOT possible with FM Server 13? I'm sure FM people told me it was possible, during a pre-release presentation of version 13, last year - and I strongly suggested my clients to upgrade to FM 13 just for that reason...

• 1. Re: "Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database"
          mikebeargie

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10244/~/storing-container-field-data-externally

It is possible, you just need to specify a valid base directory in the remote drive under FILE > MANAGE > CONTAINERS. You can then use said base directory to store container field contents in. The above article is quite helpful to explain all the changes to containers that were rolled out in FM12 (which included this ability). This is set on the file level, not on the server itself, which is why it might be confusing, as there is nothing in the FMS13 admin console about containers.

This article might be helpful too:

https://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/create_db.8.26.html

Perform incremental backups: Only a reference to an external file is stored inside the database, which keeps databases small and facilitates incremental backups. Storing container data externally promotes faster backups, because after an initial backup has been performed, subsequent backups copy only the external files that were added or changed.

• 2. Re: "Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database"
            wimdecorte

Yes it is possible.  It's one of the big changes in FMS13 for remote containers.  When you specify "Additional Database" folders you can also specify a different folder for the remote containers.

So the setup is not in the container field, but entirely on the FMS side.

What is not working for you?

• 3. Re: "Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database"
              marcodezordo

Sorry for the delay: more on that at the end...

Thank you Wim and thank you Mike. I know it should be possible, and I know this was supposed to be one of the big changes in FMS13, but...

Mike, the directions you quote are for local databases, not those managed by FileMaker Server. By the way, your last link and quote refer to FMS 12, that for sure can't register container files on remote disks.

The problem is: yes, you can define "Additional Database folders" in the FM Server 13 console, and then (and only then) you can define a different folder for the remote containers. I did try to define those folders, but never managed to see that external folder in the storage definition of the container fields: I only see the path relative to the hosted location of the database.

Unfortunately, I can't further explore this issue right now: as I will explain in a different thread, I had to downgrade my client's installation to FM Server 12, since FMS 13 freezed twice on its first working day (big solution, over one hundred concurrent FMPro clients, one hundred tables, millions of records, extremely powerful and overdimensioned server)...

• 4. Re: "Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database"
                wimdecorte

marcodezordo wrote:

I did try to define those folders, but never managed to see that external folder in the storage definition of the container fields: I only see the path relative to the hosted location of the database.

You wouldn't see the path in FMP.  This is stricly FMS managing where the data goes.  In FMP the path is still relative to the hosted file.  So you don't have to change anything in FMP, all the config is done on FMS.  You do have to host your FM file in the additional folder specified in FMS.  When you do that and you have then specified a special container data folder in FMS, FMS will save the container data it receives to that specified folder.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: "Store your container field files on a separate remote drive from the actual database"
                  marcodezordo

wimdecorte wrote:

marcodezordo wrote:

I did try to define those folders, but never managed to see that external folder in the storage definition of the container fields: I only see the path relative to the hosted location of the database.

You wouldn't see the path in FMP.  This is stricly FMS managing where the data goes.  In FMP the path is still relative to the hosted file.  So you don't have to change anything in FMP, all the config is done on FMS.  You do have to host your FM file in the additional folder specified in FMS.  When you do that and you have then specified a special container data folder in FMS, FMS will save the container data it receives to that specified folder.

Win, thanks again. I can't try this right now, as I mentioned before, but this seems logical - once you assume the illogical (and undocumented) fact that you need to host your db in the additional folder in order to use the "containers_on_remote_storage" feature.

So, just to check if I did understand: if you only have one FM file, you must leave the default database folder empty and put that file into the alternative folder. And while that "database" folder still needs to stay on a local disk, the "external" folder for the container files can be put on a remote disk, right?