6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 3:03 PM by robwoof

How do I make a date created or date modified field

elise

Please help.... I am trying to figure out how to create a date stamp for date created and date modified as well as user name. I created a stamp but all it does is say the current time or date but not the date in which the file was created much less modified and by which user.

How do I do this. I am a fast learner but have no clue how this is done. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I make a date created or date modified field
          robwoof

1) Create the fields you want for this tracking: Created by, Create Date, Modified by, Modified Date, etc.

2) Select one of the fields. Click "Options…" (button in the bottom-right of the Manage Database window).

3) Select the Auto-Enter tab (if it is not already selected).

Select the desired options. If the field's data type is Date, Time or Timestamp, then you will be offered that data type only in what can be auto-entered. I would strongly suggest that you match field data type to auto-enter data type (i.e. Create Timestamp field is data type Timestamp) so that searching and sorting work properly.

HTH

Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I make a date created or date modified field
            Stephen Huston

...And if you want to have them remain untouched by the users, tick the checkbox to prohibit modification during data entry. That way they will remain accurate as the system fills them in.

If you want a separate auto-entered record date field that the user can update at will, set it to auto-enter the Creation Date but leave it editable during data entry so that users can change it at will even though it was seeded with the creation date.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I make a date created or date modified field
              zeekhi

1) Create the fields you want for this tracking:

Eg: Record Created Stamp:

Select Field Type "Timestamp" now goto options select "Auto-Enter" tab, check the "Creation" check box as well [ ] Prohibit modification of value ...... check box at bottom of current window then click ok.

Now this field is ready to store "RECORD Creation Date & Time" with no rights for user to modify it.

Then you create another filed to record modifiction stamp of record following same procedure but check "Modification" check box instead.

Hope this will resolve your issue.

• 4. Re: How do I make a date created or date modified field
                elise

Hi, and thanks for your reply. This is extremely helpful. But I have one question. Can you explain that last sentence to me please about the

' I would strongly suggest that you match field data type to auto-enter data type (i.e. Create Timestamp field is data type Timestamp) so that searching and sorting work properly.'

dont understand this part.

• 5. Re: How do I make a date created or date modified field
                  timwhisenant

Hi

Something along the lines of the attached would do the trick.

HTH

Tim

• 6. Re: How do I make a date created or date modified field
                    robwoof

A timestamp looks like

1/1/2014 12:55:42

12/1/2014 9:22:54

1/12/2014 10:15:29

But what is not clear in the above list is whether the values are d/m/y or m/d/y. A text sort of the above list will sort them like this:

1/1/2014 12:55:42

1/12/2014 10:15:29

12/1/2014 9:22:54

which makes sense for m/d/y dates, but not for d/m/y dates.

If you have timestamps in a Text field, they will not sort properly, and searches will return odd results. You also have the issue that if different users have different date formats set on their computers, and you are putting date info into a text field, some dates will be 4/25/2014 and others will be 25/4/2014 and so on.

In the list of fields, the first column is field name, and the second column is field type. You normally set this at the time you create the field, although you can change it later. Fields containing timestamp data should be "Timestamp" type, and so on.