7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 10:02 AM by rgordon

Insert Merge Field

gowa

I use ‘Insert Merge Field’ for addresses on my print page.

However, when there is something missing such as address 2, it leaves a blank space that is not pleasant to look at.

Is there a correction for this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Insert Merge Field
          mikebeargie

It's pretty easy to calculate a "display" field for merged address if you wanted to merge everything to a single field:

Table::Address1 & if ( Not IsEmpty( Table::Address2) ; "" & Table::Address2 ; "" ) & "" & Table::City & ", " & Table::State & " " & Table::Zip

Sometimes this is preferred as it gives you greater control over the exact display. You can roll in other things to, like left(Table::Zip;5) to trim the zip code to five places, in your calc line using this method as well.

If you want to stick with the merge fields, you can also use the "slide up, also reduce size" print options for those text boxes to achieve your sliding. Here's a document that covers that:

http://www.filemaker.com/13help/en/html/create_layout.9.59.html

• 2. Re: Insert Merge Field
            beverly

I saw this and slapped myself silly. Of course it works and skips "empty/non-blank" (Address2) automatically, inserts the returns and everything:

List

( Table::Address1

; Table::Address2

; Table::City & ", " & Table::State & " " & Table::Zip

)

Beverly

• 3. Re: Insert Merge Field
              beverly

oops, meant skips Blank, but shows non-blank...

• 4. Re: Insert Merge Field
                rgordon

Just set everything below the first address to slide up.  If there is no address 2, the slide will remove the blank line.

• 5. Re: Insert Merge Field
                  gowa

The 'slide' feature doesn't work.

When I highlight the merge field, the slide feature becomes inactive.

• 6. Re: Insert Merge Field
                    beverly

'Slide' works on an entire block of text. Anything within the block slides, if the setting for it is on. You cannot slide individual words, phrases, or paragraphs in a block. If you need such, you may be able to have multiple blocks and slide what you will (left and/or up). However, that can be complex and possibly NOT work as intended. FM is not a word processor - sorry!

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 7. Re: Insert Merge Field
                      rgordon

Split the merge object into two merge objects with name and address 1 in the first object and Address 2 and the rest of the label in the second object.  Then set the second merge object to slide up.